Four-times U-19 World Cup champion India has announced their squad for ICC U-19 Cricket World Cup which will be held in South Africa in the month of January. Defending champions, India will be eying to lift their fifth World Cup title under the leadership of Priyam Garg.
For those of you who don’t know, India have been the most successful team in U19 World Cup as they have emerged winner as many as four times in the perennial tournament. In 2018, Prithvi Shaw led India to win the World Cup, beating Australia in final by 8 wickets.
This year, India will be lead by Uttar Pradesh batsman, Priyam Garg. Here’s a look some of the interesting facts about India’s under-19 skipper.
- A great talent from Uttar Pradesh, Priyam Garg is a right-hand opening batsman. Owing to his brilliant performances in the U14s and U-16s level, he was selected in in the U19 Indian Cricket Team.
Priyam Garg holds the record of scoring 2 double tons at the junior level. He was the contender for the U-19 team in 2018 but unfortunately, he failed to grab the spot in the 15-players squad because of his poor form before the World Cup.
- The youngster was selected for Ranji Trophy in 2018 and scored a century on debut against Goa. Uttar Pradesh captain Akshdeep Nath has admired him several times and gave the statement saying Priyam Garg is way beyond his years.
- Garg had a wonderful 2018-19 Ranji season for his state team Uttar Pradesh. He was the second-highest run-getter for Uttar Pradesh as he scored 814 runs in Ranji Trophy 2018-19 at an average of 67.83. He also scored a double hundred this season which is his career-best performance in first-class. He scored 206 against Tripura which was his maiden first-class double ton.
After a successful debut season in Ranji Trophy 2018-19, Priyam Garg was included in the India Green squad for the Duleep Trophy 2019. He also featured in the Deodhar Trophy and scored a handy knock of 77 in the final match for India C.
- In List-A cricket, he has appeared 15 times and scored 539 runs at an average of 41.5 including one hundred and three half-centuries. He scored a hundred in Vijay Hazare Trophy against Vidarbha.
Priyam Garg has also captained the India Under-23 team and helped his team to win the series against Bangladesh.
- Team India will start their title defence against Sri Lanka on January 19. India has been drafted in Group A along with teams like Japan, New Zealand and Sri Lanka.