When it comes to Javelin in India, there is no bigger star then Neeraj Chopra as the man has brought glory to India on several occasions which include winning Gold Medal in Tokyo 2020 and winning Doha International Title recently.
Let’s have a look at 10 Lesser known facts about Javelin Star Neeraj Chopra in the below format:
1. He was born on December 24, 1997, in Khandra village which comes in Panipat district in Haryana, India.
2. He is an Indian track and field athlete who represents India in Javelin Sport across all International competition.
3. He is the first Indian athlete to clinch gold medal in the javelin throw at the Asian Games.
4. His personal best throw of 88.07 meters, which he achieved in 2018, is the national record for India held till date.
5. He successfully clinched gold medal at the 2018 Commonwealth Games in the javelin throw event, with a throw of 86.47 meters.
6. Chopra is a Junior Commissioned Officer (JCO) in the Indian Army and current holds the position of Subedar.
7. He is also a part of the Target Olympic Podium Scheme (TOPS), which is a program launched by the Indian government to support elite athletes also those players who are all set to bring glory to the nation in terms of winning medals.
8. He was included in the Forbes India 30 under 30 list released in 2019.
9. He is already a recipient of the prestigious Arjuna Award and the Padma Shri, which are among the highest civilian awards in India.
10. He trained under the guidance of former world champion javelin thrower Uwe Hohn, who is also the coach of the Indian javelin throw team current he is coached by Klaus Bartonietz who helped him in improving his angle during the time of Javelin release.
After Chopra won Gold medal in Tokyo Olympics he has inspired next breed of players to take up the sport professionally.