ICC Cricket World Cup Records, History and Facts
ICC Cricket World Cup Records: The quadrennial Cricket World Cup is all set to return to the land of Angles England after 4 long years. The 12th edition of the Cricket World Cup will be played from 30th May to 14th July 2019.
This is the fifth time England will be hosting the prestigious tournament, it has been 33 years, England, the country from where Cricket originated, has never won a Single ODI World Cup till date.
The celebrated World Cup has returned to England after 20 years, can the liberated England team do it this time, only time will tell.
All-time ICC Cricket World Cup Records
World Cup Winners Till Date
- 1975 World Cup winner- West Indies
- 1979 World Cup winner- West Indies
- 1983 World Cup winner- India
- 1987 World Cup winner- Australia
- 1992 World Cup winner- Pakistan
- 1996 World Cup winner- Sri Lanka
- 1999 World Cup winner- Australia
- 2003 World Cup winner- Australia
- 2007 World Cup winner- Australia
- 2011 World Cup winner- India
- 2015 World Cup winner- Australia
Team to have won the most number of World Cup Tournaments
- Australia has lifted the World cup trophy 5 times, most by any team. The team lifted three consecutive World Cups from 1999-2007.
- Australia also enjoys the highest winning percentage against all the teams. It has a 75.30% winning percentage in World Cups.
- Australia had a record winning streak of 34 matches in World Cup history
- Australia has 100% winning record in 2003 and 2007 World Cups.
Team To Have Lost Most Number of World Cup Matches
- Zimbabwe has lost 42 matches in the World cup history.
- Zimbabwe faced the most consecutive defeats, they lost consecutive 18 matches from 1983-1992.
Most runs in World Cup History
- Sachin Tendulkar has scored most runs in the World Cup history. He has played 45 matches in 6 World Cups and has scored 2278 runs, which includes 6 hundred and 15 fifties.
- He has scored most runs in a single World Cup tournament twice. In 1996, he scored 523 runs in 7 innings at a staggering average of 87.16, which included 2 hundred and 3 fifties.
- In 2003, he became the highest run-getter in any World cup tournament. He smashed 673 runs in 11 matches at an average of 61.18 with the help of 1 hundred and 6 fifties.
- He was about to achieve the majestic milestone once again in 2011 but missed the feat by mere 18 runs. He scored 482 runs in 9 innings at a healthy average of 53.55 by registering 2 massive hundreds and the same number of the fifties.
Most hundreds in World Cup History
ICC Cricket World Cup records: Sachin Tendulkar has most hundreds under his name in the World Cup history. He has scored 6 hundred in the 45 World Cup matches he played.
Most hundreds in a single World Cup tournament
ICC Cricket World Cup records: Kumar Sangakkara has scored most hundreds in a single World Cup tournament. He scored 4 hundred in the 2015 World Cup. Sangakkara four consecutive hundreds came against Bangladesh, Scotland, Australia and England. He has the second most hundreds (5) in the World Cup history.
Fastest Hundred in World Cups
Kevin O’Brien from Ireland has registered the fastest hundred in the World Cup history. He scored 50 ball century against England in 2011 World Cup history.
Fastest Double Hundred in World Cup History
Chris Gayle has smashed fastest double hundred in the World Cup history. He achieved the feat in 2015 after registering 138 balls double century against Zimbabwe.
Most sixes in World Cups
ICC Cricket World Cup records: Chris Gayle and AB de Villiers jointly hold the record of hitting the most number of sixes (37) in the World Cup history. Chris Gayle also holds the record of clobbering most sixes in a single inning ( 16 sixes against Zimbabwe).
Most wickets in World Cup History
- Glen McGrath holds the record of taking the most number of wickets in the World Cup history. He took 71 wickets in 39 matches at an average of 18.13, which includes 2 five-wicket hauls.
- He also took the most wickets in a single World Cup tournament. He took 26 wickets in 11 matches in 2007 World Cup.
Hat Tricks in World Cup History
- Chetan Sharma took the first hat trick in the World Cup history. He achieved the feat against New Zealand in the 1987 World Cup.
- It took another next 12 years for any bowler to take a hat trick in the World Cup. Saqlain Mushtaq took the hat trick against Zimbabwe in 1999 World Cup.
- 4 years later on Valentine’s Day eve, Chaminda Vaas took Hat Trick against Bangladesh in 2003 World Cup.
- Apart from Chaminda Vaas, Bret Lee became the second bowler to take a hat trick in the 2003 World Cup. He took the hat trick against Kenya.
- Lasith Malinga is the bowler in the World Cup history to take 2 hat tricks in world cup history. He took the first hat trick against South Africa in 2007 World Cup and second against Kenya in 2011 World Cup.
Most dismissals as a Wicket Keeper
- Kumar Sangakkara has a record for the most number of dismissals (54) as a wicketkeeper.
- Adam Gilchrist holds the record for the most number of dismissals(21) in a single World Cup tournament.
- Adam Gilchrist also holds the record for most dismissals (6) in a single match as a wicketkeeper.
Most numbers of Tournaments Played a Player
- Sachin Tendulkar and Javed Miandad jointly hold the record for playing the most number of World Cup tournaments. Both players played 6 World Cup tournaments.
- Sachin Tendulkar registered his appearances in 1992, 1996, 1999, 2003, 2007 and 2011 World Cup
- Javed Miandad registered his appearances in 1975, 1979, 1983, 1987, 1992 and 1996 World Cup
Most number of Appearances in World Cup History
Ricky Ponting has played the most number of matches in World Cup history. He has played 46 matches as a player in the World Cup tournaments, only 1 more than Sachin Tendulkar.
Most Matches as a Captain
ICC Cricket World Cup records: Ricky Ponting has played the most number of matches as a captain (29 matches ) in the World Cup history with a winning percentage of 92.85. He only lost a single game as a captain.
Most World Cup Matches Hosted by a Single Ground
- Headingly, Leeds has hosted 12 World Cup matches till date, which is the highest by any.
- England has organized 4 World Cup tournaments till date and has won none.
Most matches as an Umpire in World Cup History
- David Shepherd stood as an umpire in 46 World Cup matches.
- Steve Bucknor stood as an umpire in 5 World Cup finals
Youngest player to have played the World Cup
Nitish Kumar from Canada is the youngest player to have played the World cup. He was just 16 years and 283 days old when he played the first game in 2011.
Oldest player to have played the World Cup
Nolan Clarke from the Netherlands is the oldest player to have played the World Cup. He played his first World Cup game at the age of 47, 257 days in 1996.
Youngest Captain to win the World Cup Trophy
ICC Cricket World Cup records: Kapil Dev is the youngest captain to win the World Cup trophy. He won the prestigious cup at the age of 24 years 5 months and 19 days in 1983.