Football Ground Size & Dimensions
Football, which has another name called ‘Soccer’ is one of the oldest and the most popular team sports the world has ever produced. This is one such game that has a huge number of crazy fans all around the world as it is one of the most engaging games. It consists of 11 players each with different positions to play.
Every game has few rules and tactics so football has, apart from that the field, and its dimension plays an important role too. It is played on grass turf or the green colored artificial surface which has to be rectangular in shape with specific dimensions. The game is played with a spherical ball and the objective is to put or kick the ball to other teams’ netted regions without using the hands or arms which in result known as a goal.
The team which scores the maximum number of goals in a match is declared as winners. The time duration of the game is 90 minutes with two halves of 45 minutes each and if the result doesn’t come either it will be declared a draw or the extra minutes and penalty shoot outs will take place depending upon the format of the game they played.
Dimensions of the Football Ground
Federation Internationale de Football Association (FIFA) is the international governing body for football and is in charge of maintaining the laws of the game. Whatever change or new implementation you get to see in International football, FIFA is the name that works behind the scene for them. The Football Ground dimensions of the football field are specified in Law 1 of the FIFA Official Laws of the Game. When you have knowledge about every titbit of a game, in that scenario watching and playing it becomes much easier and enjoyable. Many of you might not have the exact idea regarding the field dimensions of this game and so, here I am with my write-up to provide you brief information regarding that.
Ground Dimensions & Goal Post Sizes
Let’s take a glance of Football Ground dimensions, Measurements, and different parts.
The Football Size
The ball used for this game is spherical in shape with a circumference of 68-70 centimeters. It weighs around 14-16 ounces and is made up of synthetic. Football Size 5 is the ball that should be used for those playing proper football who are aged fourteen and up. Depending on two factors the age of the player and the diversity of the game that they’re playing, however, there are several different balls that can be used. Below are the football circumference for different age groups and game variations.
# Kids’ & Youth Football Circumference
– U-6, U-7, & U-8: Size 3 is the official football ball for toddlers and young children. It has a circumference of 23-24 inches and a weight of 11-12 ounce. Size 3 of football is the smallest official ball.
– U-9, U-10, & U-11: Size 4 is the official football-size for children aged between 9 and 13 years old. It has a circumference of 25-26 inches and a weight of 11-13 ounce.
– U-12, U-13 & up: The regulation size soccer ball, size 5, is played by youth players when they reach the age of 14. Size 5 is also the ball used in high school football games.
# The following are the specifications of an official football Size 5:
1. Circumference: 27 to 28 inches (69 to 71 cm)
2. Weight: 400 to 450 grams
3. Official Pressure: between 8.5 to 15.6 PSI
4. Diameter: 8.6 to 9 inches (22 to 23 cm)
5. Radius: 4.3 to 4.5 inches (11 to 11.5 cm)
Football Field Dimensions & Measurement
The playing area is a rectangular green field with outlines marked on it. These lines are boundary lines. The longer lines are called touchlines whereas shorter lines of a rectangular field are called goal lines. The width of all lines is not more than 12 centimeters. The length of touchlines ranges from 100 meters to 110 meters and goal lines range from 64 meters from 75 meters. The Centre mark is marked at the center of the halfway line of the pitch. Upon that, a circle of radius of 9.15 meters is marked around it. The match starts from the center of the pitch itself.
The most official football dimensions and measurement are those that had been decided by FIFA (The Fédération Internationale de Football Association).
According to the stipulations from FIFA, a football field dimension should have specific minimum and maximum dimensions:
– The length of touchline has to be minimum of 90 metres (100 yds) and maximum of 120 metres (130 yds).
– The width of goal-line has to be minimum of 45 metres (50 yds) and maximum 90 meters (100 yds).
For international matches the rules are somewhat different:
– The length has to be a minimum of 100 meters and a maximum 110 meters.
– The width has to be a minimum of 64 meters and a maximum of 75 meters.
Football field dimension among the top clubs in the world is 105 x 68 meters (114.8 x 74.4 yds), All the dimensions are from UEFA. Some famous stadiums and the dimension of their football fields:
1. Barcelona- Camp Nou : 105 x 68 metres
2. England- Wembley: 105 x 68 metres
3. Manchester United- Old Trafford: 105 x 68 metres
4. Arsenal- Emirates Stadium: 105 x 68 metres
5. AC Milan- San Siro: 105 x 68 metres
6. Bayern Munich- Allianz Arena: 105 x 68 metres
7. Chelsea- Stamford Bridge: 103 x 67 metres
8. Liverpool- Anfield: 101 x 68 metres
Football Goal Post Size
In Football Ground dimensions, Goalposts are placed at the center of each goal line. It consists of two equidistant posts standing upright to a horizontal crossbar with a net fixed on the backside. The distance between two equidistant posts is 7.32 meters and the distance from the lower edge of the horizontal crossbar to the ground should be 8 feet (2.44 meters). The goalposts and the crossbars must be white colour made up of metal or any other approved material. A straight goal line is created between the two posts and a goal is scored when the ball crosses the goal line.
Penalty Area Size & Dimension
The Penalty area is the box where a goalkeeper can use his hands to hold the ball and is recognized as the goalkeeper’s area. The fouls committed inside the penalty area are punished by rewarding a penalty kick to other teams. The penalty box is the most critical area in football where players cautiously carry their game. The Penalty area includes the goal area/box, the Penalty mark from where penalty kick is being taken, and an arc on the top of the penalty box which is in the shape of ‘D’ commonly known as Penalty arc.
Coming to the dimension part of the penalty area, it is 44 yards wide and 18 yards long in which goalpost of 8 yards is placed. A penalty mark is made with a distance of 12 yards from the mid-point of the goal line and an arc of a circle with a radius of 10 yards from the center of each penalty mark is drawn outside the penalty area.
Goal Box Size & Dimension
The goal box is another box built inside the penalty area. It is a 12 yard long and 20-yard wide box inside the penalty area.
Each football goal size is specifically designed to suit the needs of specific age groups and team-sizes.
The Football Association’s (FA) recommendations of which goalpost size is suitable for each age or team size:
– 11 A-Side: The 11 a side game for players aged 14 and over commend a football goal size with the dimensions 24ft x 8ft (7.32m x 2.44m). This is the goal post size used for all leagues and tournaments around the world.
However, for players who come under under-13 and 14 categories, the football goal dimensions are reduced to 21ft x 7ft (6.4m x 2.13m).
– 9-A Side Games: The 9 a side game for under-11 and 12 commend a football goal with dimensions of 16ft x 7ft. This was proposed by FA, introduced to the guidelines in 2013. This was done as an intermediate step between the 7 a side and 11 a side games. This is done to advancement from one type of football game to another.
– 7-A Side Games: Both the 7 a side and 5 a side games for age ranges under & 10 and under 8 & 7 respectively, recommend the use of a 12ft x 6ft (3.66m x 1.83m) football goal post. This goal post is commonly expressed to as a ‘Mini Soccer’ football goal post.
– 5-A Side Games: On regular, the term “5 a side posts” refers to goalposts that measure to the dimensions 12ft x 4ft (3.66m x 1.22m), or 16ft x 4ft (4.88m x 1.22m). This football goal post size is designed to be used on smaller artificial turfs and in indoor 5 a side games.
Corner Flags in Football Ground
In Football Ground dimensions, Corner flags commonly known as flag posts which should be not less than 1.5 meters are situated at each corner of the rectangular field. At each of the flag, a radius of the 1-meter arc is made facing towards the field where a corner kick is taken. A corner kick is taken when the ball crosses the goal line if the last touch was not from an opponent player.
Interchange Area in Football Ground
Interchange area is an area where substitutes of players take place. The zone for interchange starts 1 meter either side of the touchline from the halfway line and extends 1 meter from the field of play.
Center Mark in Football Ground
In Football Ground dimensions, “Center mark” as the name denotes, is a spot in the middle of the center circle at which the ball is placed during kickoff. A play starts in every half from the center mark itself.
Technical Area in Football Ground
The technical area includes the dugout of both the teams where a box is created in front of each team’s dugout outside of the rectangular field. One person or the manager or the coach is allowed to instruct players within the box.
Let it be for watching or for playing, sports is an inseparable part of almost everyone’s life. From now every time you will watch football you will have the knowledge of the Football Ground dimensions and will be able to relate with this article.