The ICC T20 World Cup in Australia will start in less than a month. The mega T20 event is being held in successive years for the second time. Until now, Sri Lanka is the only team to play in three T20 world cups finals – 2009, 2012 and 2014. Moreover, the Lankans have registered the most number of wins in the history of T20 world cups as they have won 22 matches whereas Bangladesh have the most number of losses – 19.
As the tournament inches closer, Sportzcraazy will bring forth some unknown T20 World cup facts that are less talked about.
Former Indian Player Reveals Why Virat Kohli Should Open for India at T20 World Cup 2022
In this article, we will be listing the Top 5 highest partnership by runs in the history of ICC T20 world cups.
- Mahela Jayawardene and Kumar Sangakkara – The Sri Lankan duo are on top of this list – thanks to their partnership of 166 runs off 99 balls for the third wicket. This partnership came against the West Indies during the 2010 T20 world cup. Both the legends scored outstanding half centuries with Sangakkara scoring 68 off 49 and Jayawardene missed out on scoring a century by just 2 runs as he remained 98 not out off 56 deliveries.
- Babar Azam and Mohammad Rizwan – Pakistan were chasing a total of 152 runs in their opening match of the ICC T20 world cup last year. In return, Pakistan chased that total down with 13 balls remaining without losing a single wicket. This partnership will be remembered as one of the best partnership for the first wicket in the history of T20 cricket. Mohammad Rizwan would hit 79 runs off 55 balls by hitting 6 fours and 3 sixes whereas Babar Azam scored 68 runs by hitting 6 fours and 2 sixes.
- Alex Hales and Eoin Morgan – The English duo made a partnership of 152 runs against Sri Lanka during the 2014 T20 world cup. Morgan departed after scoring 57 runs off 38 balls but Alex Hales remained 116 not out off 64 balls and ensured the victory for the three lions. Hales struck 11 fours and 6 sixes on the way to his century.
- Chris Gayle and Devon Smith – The West Indies would set up a target of 205 runs in their 1st match of the ICC T20 world cup in 2007 thanks to the 145 run partnership of Chris Gayle and Devon smith for the first wicket. The openers took 82 balls to reach that mark as Gayle contributed 98 runs whereas Devon smith scored 35 runs. Gayle went on to score 117 runs after smith departed but the West Indies eventually lost the match as the South Africans were able to chase the total of 206 by losing only 2 wickets.
- Tillakaratne Dilshan and Mahela Jayawardene – Dilshan and Jayawardene made a partnership of 145 runs off 94 deliveries against England during the 2014 T20 world cup. Jayawardene scored 89 runs whereas Dilshan scored 55 runs. However, England came out victorious in this fixture and this partnership concludes the top 5 list of highest partnership by runs in the history of ICC T20 world cup.
Also Read :- Top 10 Batsmen who have cleared the fences for most number of times in ICC T20 World cup history