Mandeep Singh Introduction
If we go down the memory late and transport ourselves to the early days of the decade that just ended, we will get to know of ‘the next Virat Kohli‘. While Virat Kohli himself was very young back then, he already had got fame. The other player who was creating the ripples was Mandeep Singh. A very elegant and flawless cricketer, who was selected as the vice-captain of the Indian U19 Cricket Team for the upcoming ICC U19 World Cup.
Back then, many expected Singh to be a mainstay of the Indian batting lineup in the upcoming years. However, fast forward to a decade, he has played just 3 first-class games. The rise, however, was very promising. The ‘rising player of the year‘ awardee of IPL 2012 had issues with his consistency after reaching what was the best phase of his career. Though he redeemed himself time and again in domestic cricket, he hasn’t been the Singh who once was India’s ‘next big thing.’
Mandeep Singh Batting and Fielding Averages
Mandeep Singh Bowling Averages
Mandeep Singh Early Life
- Mandeep Singh was born on December 18, 1991 at Jalandhar, Punjab.
- His father’s name is Hardev Singh. Hardev is a very renowned coach of athletics in Jalandhar.
- His nickname is ‘Mandy’.
- He completed his higher education for Punjab University in Chandigarh.
- Mandeep has a brother named Harvinder Singh.
- Mandeep married Jagdeep Jaswal in 2016. Mrs Mandeep Singh is a health care assistant at a United Kingdom-based pharmaceutical company.
- Initially, Singh’s father was not too supportive of his son’s knack of cricket. However, that changed after he got selected to represent India U19 at the ICC U19 World Cup.
- He has played for three IPL franchises – Kings XI Punjab, Kolkata Knight Riders and Royal Challengers Bangalore.
- He made his List A debut against Haryana on February 10, 2010.
- A big fan of Akshay Kumar, Mandeep Singh’s favourite movie is ‘Singh is Kinng.’
- His favourite dish is Chicken Tikka Masala.
- He has been a huge admirer of Sachin Tendulkar ever since he started watching him play.
Mandeep Singh International Career
- He made his T20I debut against Zimbabwe in Harare, on 18th June 2016. He scored 31 runs in 27 balls in that match.
- Though Mandeep had a good time, the Indian team failed to perform well against much weaker opponents in Zimbabwe. After that tour, the team management decided to go back to their experienced guys, and Singh was hence dropped from the side.
- Mandeep was the highest run-scorer for the Indian team in that series. He scored 87 runs.
- During his stint as the vice-captain, the India U19 side reached the quarter-finals of the ICC U19 World. Though Pakistan eliminated them, Singh played a good knock of 40 runs from just 44 deliveries.
- After his brilliant time with Kings XI Punjab in IPL 2012, he was included in the 30-man probable Indian squad for ICC World T20 2012. However, he failed to get a place in the final squad.
- Mandeep Singh has also ‘played’ for South Africa A. This weird incident happened in 2015. South Africa A were then touring India. Four of their players probably broke their diets and opted for something fancier, which in turn resulted in four counts of stomach aches. The situation was so bad that they didn’t even had 11 players to field. As a result, they had to hand the Proteas’ kit to India A’s 12th man, Mandeep Singh.
Mandeep Singh Achievements
- He was the highest run-scorer for Kings XI Punjab in the fifth edition of IPL. In that season, he scored 432 runs in 16 games. He struck two half-centuries in that instalment of IPL.
- For his wonderful performance that season, he also grabbed the prestigious ‘Rising Player of the Year’ award.
- He scored an unbeaten fifty in his first-ever first-class game.
- He played a stunning knock of unbeaten 45 from just 18 balls against Kolkata Knight Riders.
- He was the highest run-scorer in the Vijay Hazare trophy of 2015. He scored 394 runs in 7 games, at an average of over 65. He had a strike rate of almost 90. He also scored a brilliant 119 from just 145 deliveries against Himachal Pradesh.