The Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) and the Cricket Ireland have agreed to postpone their three ODIs and four T20Is series scheduled to be played in Ireland and England between May 14-29 this year. The four-match T20Is series was set to be played at The Oval, Chelmsford, Bristol, and Edgbaston.
This decision was taken by both the Cricket Boards as the Chief Executive of Cricket Ireland, Warren Deutrom said in a statement:
“Once the scale of the COVID-19 pandemic was understood, and the advice of both Governments and partner boards was sought, it became increasingly unlikely that this series could proceed as scheduled.
“We have a responsibility to protect the wellbeing of players, coaches, fans and the wider community, and will not hesitate to take a safety-first approach to our operations over coming months. We will continue monitoring the situation, and will liaise as necessary with relevant sports bodies, public health agencies and our stakeholders here and abroad, and provide further updates on the home season in due course.”
Warren Deutrom also thanked the Bangladesh Cricket Board for their cooperation during the ongoing pandemic that has caused the “State of emergency” in the entire Europe. As he thanked the BCB officials, Deutrom said:
We would like to thank the Bangladesh Cricket Board for their helpful cooperation in reaching this decision, and we shall work with them at establishing new dates for the series when we are all in a position to plan for the future with greater certainty,”
All the sporting events have been shut down around the globe as a preventive measure of not letting the novel virus spread among the people. So many upcoming tournaments and leagues have been either suspended or postponed with an immediate effect. Last week, on March 16, the Cricket Ireland had also shelved the six-match men’s series against Zimbabwe.
Bangladesh was supposed to play the one-off ODI & Test match against Pakistan in Karachi which was also scheduled to be played in the month of April.