The 19th Asian Games Hangzhou 2022, rescheduled to 2023 due to the COVID-19 pandemic, is all set to showcase the best of Asian sports talent, and India is gearing up with a formidable contingent of 634 athletes competing in 38 different sports. Among these sports, squash has been a focus for India, with a talented squad ready to make their mark on the continental stage.
Squash in India has witnessed steady growth over the past few years, and the Asian Games 2023 provides an ideal platform for the country’s players to exhibit their skills and compete against the best in the continent. The Indian squash squad comprises a mix of experienced players and promising talents who have earned their spots through rigorous qualification processes.
1. Saurav Ghosal: An eminent name in Indian squash, Saurav Ghosal brings a wealth of experience to the team. He has consistently performed at the highest level and will be a strong contender for a podium finish in the men’s category.
2. Abhay Singh: Abhay Singh, a rising star in Indian squash, has shown immense promise with his impressive performances. His inclusion in the squad is a testament to his dedication and hard work.
3. Mahesh Mangaonkar: Mahesh Mangaonkar is another stalwart in the men’s squad. His technical prowess and competitive spirit make him a force to be reckoned with in the tournament.
4. Harinderpal Singh Sandhu: Harinderpal Singh Sandhu’s experience and versatility add depth to the men’s squad. He has the ability to adapt to different playing styles, making him a valuable asset for the team.
1. Joshna Chinappa: Joshna Chinappa is a household name in Indian squash. Her achievements on the international stage have made her one of the country’s most celebrated sportspersons. She will lead the charge for India in the women’s category.
2. Dipika Pallikal Karthik: Dipika Pallikal Karthik’s passion for squash and her tenacity on the court make her a formidable opponent. Her partnership with Joshna Chinappa in doubles events has yielded remarkable results in the past.
3. Anahat Singh: Anahat Singh, a young and promising talent, has made a significant impact in junior squash. Her inclusion in the squad highlights the focus on nurturing young talent for future success.
4. Tanvi Khanna: Tanvi Khanna’s dedication to the sport and her determination to excel make her an essential part of the women’s squad. Her consistent performances have earned her a spot at the Asian Games.
The Indian squash squad is a blend of experience and youthful exuberance, reflecting the evolution of the sport in the country. The players have undergone rigorous training and preparation to compete at the highest level in Hangzhou. Their participation in the Asian Games is not only an opportunity for personal glory but also a chance to inspire the next generation of Indian squash players.
The Asian Games have historically been a platform where Indian athletes have displayed their prowess and brought laurels to the nation. With a talented squash squad ready to take on the best in Asia, hopes are high for a memorable performance and a potential medal haul in this prestigious event.
As the Indian contingent marches into the Hangzhou Asian Games, the squash squad, with its blend of experience and youth, stands as a symbol of India’s growing prominence in the sport. Their journey promises to be one of determination, skill, and sportsmanship, and the nation eagerly awaits their quest for glory on the squash courts of Hangzhou.