Full List of Indian Athletes Qualified for CWG 2022
Since 2010, India had been participating in the Commonwealth Games and has been consistently represented by over 200 athletes at the Commonwealth games
Commonwealth Games 2022 will be held in Birmingham, the UK and fans believe Indian contingents will take make an impact at this event and win medals at full capacity.
Commonwealth 2022 games are scheduled from July 28th to August 8th in Birmingham, United Kingdom. Player Qualification and team selection are still pending.
Meanwhile, Here’s a full list of Indian athletes who have already qualified for the Commonwealth games 2022 till yet.
On Thursday, The Athletic Federation of India announced a 37-member Indian athletics team and Olympic Gold medalist in Tokyo Olympics, Neeraj Chopra will lead the athletics team for the Commonwealth Games.
A total of 37 athletics players were selected to represent India in Commonwealth Games 2022 by the selection committee, Out of 37 players, 19 are men athletes and 18 are women athletes. Veteran players like Hima Das and Dutte Chand will also feature in this year’s Commonwealth Games.
- Avinash Sable – men’s 3000m steeplechase
- Nitender Rawat – men’s marathon
- M Sreeshankar – men’s long Jump
- Muhammed Anees Yahiya – men’s long Jump
- Abdulla Aboobacker – men’s triple jump
- Praveen Chithravel – men’s triple jump
- Eldhose Paul – men’s triple jump
- Tajinderpal Singh Toor – men’s shot put
- Neeraj Chopra – men’s javelin throw
- DP Manu – men’s javelin throw
- Rohit Yadav – men’s javelin throw
- Sandeep Kumar – men’s 10km race walk
- Amit Khatri – men’s 10km race walk
- Amoj Jacob – men’s 4x400m relay
- Noah Nirmal Tom – men’s 4x400m relay
- Arokia Rajiv – men’s 4x400m relay
- Muhammed Ajmal – men’s 4x400m relay
- Naganathan Pandi – men’s 4x400m relay
- Rajesh Ramesh – men’s 4x400m relay
- Dhanalakshmi Sekar – women’s 100m and 4x100m relay
- Jyothi Yarraji – women’s 100m hurdles
- Aishwarya B – women’s long jump and triple jump
- Ancy Sojan – women’s long jump
- Manpreet Kaur – women’s shot put
- Navjeet Kaur Dhilllon – women’s discus throw
- Seema Punia – women’s discus throw
- Annu Rani – women’s javelin throw
- Shilpa Rani – women’s javelin throw
- Manju Bala Singh – women’s hammer throw
- Sarita Romit Singh – women’s hammer throw
- Bhawna Jat – women’s 10km race walk
- Priyanka Goswami – women’s 10km race walk
- Hima Das – women’s 4x100m relay
- Dutee Chand – women’s 4x100m relay
- Srabani Nanda – women’s 4x100m relay
- MV Jilna – women’s 4x100m relay
- NS Simi – women’s 4x100m relay
Last year in Tokyo Olympics, Indian athletes saw the new heights of achievement as we witnessed the likes of Neeraj Chopra, PV Sindhu, and Mirabai Chanu won the medal in their respective sports.
This year in the commonwealth games, silver medalist Mirabai Chanu will be leading the Weightlifting team as India’s 12-member squad of strong weightlifting athletes have already qualified for CWG 2022.
Indian Weightlifters Jeremy Lalrinnunga, Achinta Sheuli, Ajay Singh, and Purnima Pandey secured their place by winning gold medals at the Commonwealth Weightlifting Championships 2021 in December last year.
while the remaining eight Indian athletes booked their spot at the Singapore Weightlifting International 2022.
All these years, Mirabai Chanu has been competing in the 49kgs weight category but this year at CWG 2022 she will be competing in the 55kgs weight category.
Here’s the list of 12 weightlifters who had qualified for CWG 2022
- Mirabai Chanu – women’s 55kg
- Bindyarani Devi – women’s 59kg
- Popy Hazarika – women’s 64kg
- Usha Kumara – women’s 87kg
- Purnima Pandey – women’s +87kg
- Sanket Mahadev – men’s 55kg
- Chanambam Rishikanta Singh – men’s 55kg
- Jeremy Lalrinnunga – men’s 67kg
- Achinta Sheuli – men’s 73kg
- Ajay Singh – men’s 81kg
- Vikas Thakur – men’s 96kg
- Ragala Venkat Rahul – men’s 96kg
Top Indian badminton athletes like PV Sindhu, Lakshya Sen, Chirag Shetty, Kidambi Srikanth, and Satwiksairaj Rankireddy were permitted direct entrance to all the competitions regarding their world badminton rankings.
In the mixed doubles category, Indian shuttlers Sumeet Reddy and Ashwini Ponappa made it to the team for the commonwealth games 2022 after they finish in top place in the mixed doubles category.
- PV Sindhu (women’s)
- Aakarshi Kashyap (women’s)
- Treesa Jolly (women’s)
- Gayatri Gopichand (women’s)
- Ashwini Ponappa (women’s)
- Lakshya Sen (men’s)
- Kidambi Srikanth (men’s)
- Satwiksairaj Rankireddy (men’s)
- Chirag Shetty (men’s)
- B Sumeeth Reddy (men’s)
World championship medallists Amit Panghal and Shiva Thapa fixed their spots on the Indian boxing team for the upcoming Commonwealth Games 2022 after coming out with winnings in their respective categories.
- Amit Panghal – men’s 51kg
- Mohammad Hussamuddin – men’s 57kg
- Shiva Thapa – men’s 63.5kg
- Rohit Tokas – men’s 67kg
- Sumit Kundu – men’s 75kg
- Ashish Chaudhary – men’s 80kg
- Sanjeet – men’s 92kg
- Sagar – men’s 92+kg
Commonwealth Games 2022: Veteran Boxer MC Mary Kom ruled out CWG 2022 after suffering a Knee injury
- Nitu – women’s 48kg
- Nikhat Zareen – women’s 50kg
- Jaismine – women’s 60kg
- Lovlina Borgohain – women’s 70kg
This will be the first appearance of the women’s T20I format that will take place in the Commonwealth games 2022. In 1998, the first cricket match was ever played in Commonwealth history.
In CWG 2022, a total of 8 teams will be playing. The host England, Australia, New Zealand, India, Pakistan, South Africa, Barbados, and Srilanka.
Out of 8 total of 5 teams automatically qualified for the Commonwealth Games 2022 with their ICC T20I rankings
- Indian women’s cricket team
Indian table tennis federation of India announced the Table tennis contingent for the Commonwealth Games 2022, Birmingham 2022. A total of 8 players were selected, four men and four women players.
The likes of experienced players like Sharath Kamal and Manika Batra will be leading the badminton team in the Commonwealth games 2022. Two backup players, Manush Shah and Swastika Ghosh will also travel with the table tennis team.
- Sharath Kamal (men’s)
- Sathiyan Gnanasekaran (men’s)
- Sanil Shetty (men’s)
- Harmeet Desai (men’s)
- Manika Batra (women’s)
- Diya Chitale (women’s)
- Sreeja Akula (women’s)
- Reeth Rishya (women’s)
Both the Indian men’s and women’s hockey teams have already made the cut for the Commonwealth Games 2022 based on their FIH rankings. The men’s and women’s hockey competitions will be 10-team affairs.
Based on Federation India Hockey ranking India Hockey team has already qualified for the Commonwealth Games 2022, Both Indian men’s and women’s hockey teams made the qualification successfully.
In the 2002 commonwealth games, India Hockey women’s team won the Commonwealth Games hockey gold and will be looking for the same after 20 years.
Although, India’s men’s hockey team is still in search of their first gold medal in CWG. Winning two silver medals in 2010 and 2014 has been the best result till now for India’s men’s hockey team.
Veteran player, Manpreet Singh is back in the Indian men’s hockey team as he will lead the Men’s Indian Hockey team in Commonwealth Games 2022 in Birmingham starting from 29th July 2022.
India men’s hockey team will start their campaign on 31st July 2022 against Ghana. India’s hockey team is in group B with the likes of England, Wales, Canada, and Ghana.
Here’s the list of 18 Hockey players who are participating in CWG 2022
Indian men’s hockey team
1. PR Sreejesh
2. Krishan Bahadur Pathak
3. Varun Kumar
4. Surender Kumar
5. Harmanpreet Singh (VC)
6. Amit Rohidas
7. Jugraj Singh
8. Jarmanpreet Singh
9. Manpreet Singh (C)
10. Hardik Singh
11. Vivek Sagar Prasad
12. Shamsher Singh
13. Akashdeep Singh
14. Nilakanta Sharma
15. Mandeep Singh
16. Gurjant Singh
17. Lalit Kumar Upadhyay
Indian women’s hockey team
1. Savita Punia (captain)
2. Rajani Etimarpu
3. Deep Grace Ekka (vice-captain)
4. Gurjit Kaur
5. Nikki Pradhan
8. Sushila Chanu Pukhrambam
12. Navjot Kaur
13. Salima Tete
14. Vandana Katariya
16. Navneet Kaur
17. Sharmila Devi
18. Sangita Kumari
In Tokyo 2020. Indian wrestlers Ravi Kumar Dahiya (57kg) and Bajrang Punia (65kg) showcased their talent and won the medal for their country and once again both the wrestlers will represent India in the Commonwealth games 2022 as they qualified by winning their respective matches at the national selection trials held in New Delhi.
Here’s the list of 12 Wrestlers who had qualified for CWG 2022
- Ravi Kumar Dahiya – men’s 57kg
- Bajrang Punia – men’s 65kg
- Naveen – men’s 74kg
- Deepak Punia – men’s 86kg
- Deepak – men’s 97kg
- Mohit Grewal (125kg)
- Pooja Gehlot – women’s 50kg
- Vinesh Phogat – women’s 53kg
- Anshu Malik – women’s 57kg
- Sakshi Malik – women’s 62kg
- Divya Kakran – women’s 68kg
- Pooja Sihag – women’s 76kg
Note: Full list will be updated as more Indian teams and players’ qualifications are confirmed.