Top 4 Popular Sports in India : Sports are popularly played in India. A large number of leading and internationally famous sports players are from India. India is a diverse country that has athletes and professional sports people from all its states.
Today, we have compiled a list of sports that are popularly played in India. We also have put together a list of the best Indian athletes and the states that they come from. One question that often crosses the mind of sports fans and spectators in which Indian state is best in sports and athletes? Well, now you can clarify any doubts that you have by reading through the content that we have compiled for you:
Sports Popularly Played In India
Cricket is without a doubt the most popular sport in India. The Indian cricket team is one of the leading cricket teams in the world. India has won many international cricket matches and tournaments. Some of the best cricketers in the world are from India. Let’s now list out some of the famous Indian cricketers and their respective states:
- Sachin Tendulkar is an internationally famous Indian cricketer who was born in the state of Maharashtra. He has won countless awards in the field of cricket and has to lead the Indian cricket team to numerous victories too.
- MS Dhoni is another leading Indian cricketer. He is from the state of Jharkhand. He has gained fame in the international cricket world and has even captained the Indian team from the years 2007 to 2016.
- Kapil Dev is a former Indian cricketer but he is a legend in the world of cricket. He was born in the state of Punjab. He has won a plethora of awards and matches for the Indian cricket teams.
In addition to these above-mentioned cricketers, there are countless other famous cricketers from India too. Some of these include Sunil Gavaskar, Virendra Sehwag, Anil Kumble, Rahul Dravid and many others. Each one of these cricketers is from different states in the country.
Hockey is the national sport of India. The Indian hockey team has won several international hockey tournaments and matches. Some of the famous hockey players in India include:
- Sardar Singh who was born and brought up in Haryana is the captain of the Indian hockey team.
- Manpreet Singh is another leading hockey player who is from the state of Punjab.
- Sandeep Singh is another professional field hockey player from the state of Haryana. He even captained the Indian hockey team for a short while.
Besides these above-mentioned names, there are several other star hockey players from India.
India has seen quite a number of tennis champions in the men’s and women’s categories. Some of the internationally famous and popular tennis players are:
- Rohan Bopanna from Bangalore, Karnataka
- Sania Mirza from Hyderabad, Telangana
- Leander Paes from Kolkata, West Bengal
- Mahesh Bhupathi from Chennai
All of these players and several others like Yuki Bhambhri (Delhi), Ramkumar Ramanathan (Chennai) have made quite a name for themselves in the world of international tennis.
Some famous boxing professionals from India include:
- Mary Kom from Kangathei, Manipur.
- Vijender Singh Beniwal from Haryana
- Akhil Kumar from Faizabad, Uttar Pradesh
- Shivam Thapa from Assam
In addition to the above-mentioned sports, other sports that are popularly played in Indian include squash, swimming, table tennis, football, basketball and many others.
Which Indian State Is Best In Sports?
Well, it’s a close tie between Haryana and Manipur. While Haryana has produced the maximum number of professional athletes and sports players, over the past few years Manipur has also been producing a large number of Olympic and international champions. The under 17 FIFA World Cup saw 8 players from Manipur. Famous sportspersons like Saikhom Mirabai Chanu(World Weightlifting Champion) and Mary Kom(5 times world champion boxer) are from Manipur too.
Famous Sportsmen And Women From Haryana
Some of the famous athletes from Haryana include:
- Dinesh Kumar (boxing)
- Jagdish Singh (boxing)
- Manoj Kumar (boxing)
- Vijender Singh (boxing)
- Vikas Krishan Yadav (boxing)
- Virender Sehwag (cricket)
- Amit Mishra (cricket)
- Ajay Ratra (cricket)
- Ashish Nehra (cricket)
- Chetan Sharma (cricket)
- Joginder Sharma (cricket)
- Joginder Rao (cricket)
- Kapil Dev (cricket)
- Jasheet Kaur Handa (hockey)
- Mamta Kharab (hockey)
- Pritam Rani Siwach (hockey)
- Sandeep Singh (hockey)
- Sardar Singh (hockey)
- Ramesh Kumar (kabaddi)
- Anup Kumar (kabaddi)
- Sunil Dabas (kabaddi)
- Sakshi Malik (wrestling)
- Yogeshwar Dutt (wrestling)
- Geeta Phogat (wrestling)
- Lila Ram (wrestling)
Besides the above-mentioned names, there are tons of other professional athletes from Haryana that have been involved in mountaineering, volleyball and many other sports. Haryana has produced some fantastic athletes over the decades. More and more youngsters from Haryana are showing a keen interest in athletics and professional sports. The success ratio of the athletes from Haryana has been pretty incredible when it comes to international sports. A lot of these athletes have even won gold medals in the Olympics and many awards in their respective fields.
Famous Sportsmen And Women From Manipur
- Suman Bala (Hockey)
- Sanggai Chanu (Hockey)
- Sushila Chanu (Hockey)
- Tingonleima Chanu (Hockey)
- Suraj Lata Devi (Hockey)
- Nilakanta Sharma (Hockey)
- Chinglensana Singh (Hockey)
- Kothajit Singh (Hockey)
- Neel Kamal Singh (Hockey)
- Thoiba Singh (Hockey)
- Anuradha Thokchom (Hockey)
- Boithang Haokip (football)
- Thongkhosiem Haokip (football)
- Malemngamba Meitei (football)
- Ninthoinganba Meetei (football)
- Denechandra Meitei (football)
- Nongdamba Naorem (football)
- David Ngaihte (football)
- Elangbam Panthoi Chanu (football)
- Yumlembem Premi Devi (football)
- Gift Raikhan (football)
- Yumnam Raju (football)
- Ngangom Ronald Singh (football)
- Khumukcham Sanjita Chanu (weightlifting)
- Ngangbam Soniya Chanu (weightlifting)
- Saikhom Mirabai Chanu (weightlifting)
- Kunjarani Devi (weightlifting)
- Monika Devi (weightlifting)
In addition to these names, there are several other leading sports people from Manipur too.
Well, now you have the basic information about the states in India that are famous for producing top rated and internationally famous sportsmen and women. India as a country has a lot of talented young individuals who go on to make their country proud in the field of sports and athletics. Most Indians get involved in sports from a very young age and go on to make themselves famous in their respective field of sports.
- Kho Kho | History, Benefits and Elements of Kho Kho Game
- Only 90s Kids Know this Famous Game | Chor Police Game
- Gilli Danda – The Forgotten Indian Traditional Game