Ashish Nehra Introduction
Ashish Nehra is regarded as one of the best Indian pacers of his time. Nehra during his playing days had an ability to swing the ball both the ways, which was something that tormented the best in the game. Injuries were a major concern for Nehra during his career and injuries were a reason he missed various major tournaments across the years.
Nehra came into the limelight with his magical performance in a match against England in the 2003 World Cup where he picked up 6 wickets which turned out to be his best ever figures in ODIs. Nehra was also an integral part of the 2011 world cup winning squad.
Early Life Journey
Ashish Nehra was born on 29th April 1979 to Pawan Singh Nehra and Sumitra Nehra in Delhi. His early days saw him travel alongside Virender Sehwag in a scooter to play cricket at Feroz Shah Kotla stadium. Ashish came through the ranks with his performance in domestic cricket, he played Ranji trophy for the Delhi team.
He made his international debut in test matches against Sri Lanka on 24th February 1999, his debut wasn’t as good as he would have liked it to be as he managed to pick just 1 wicket. He made his ODI debut in 2001 against Zimbabwe, in his debut match he picked up 2 wickets for 33 runs and helped India win the match comfortably with 9 wickets.
He came into the Indian circuit at a very young age in 1999 but his rise to prominence begun from the 2003 ICC Cricket World Cup where he bowled some mesmerizing spells as he left the batsman with no clue. He made the ball do the talking as he took 6 wickets for 23 runs against England.
Ashish Nehra was a very prominent pace bowler in the Indian setup but injuries never actually let him play cricket consistently and even after playing for about 18 years only manage to play 164 matches for India.
When it comes to the Indian Premier League in the initial years he saw himself moving from one team to the other. He has played for five different Indian Premier League franchises throughout his career, initially, he was with Mumbai Indians then moved to Delhi Daredevils and later was with Pune warriors India. After a stint with Pune Warriors India, he went back to his previous franchise Delhi Daredevils.
In 2014 and 15 he played for Chennai Super Kings. In 2015 season with Chennai Super Kings he took 22 wickets which were the best figure by an Indian pace bowler in that season. Post his successful campaigns with Chennai Super Kings he moved to Sunrisers Hyderabad with whom he won the 2016 edition of the Indian Premier League. His performance in the IPL saw him make a place for himself in the T20 squad of the country, where he performed excellently and at the same time mentored the young generation.
- He made his test debut on 24 February 1999 against Sri Lanka in Colombo
- His ODI debut came on24 June 2001 against Zimbabwe in Harare
- His T20 international debut came on 9 December 2009 against Sri Lanka in Nagpur
Ashish Nehra Stats
- Ashish Nehra has played 17 test matches for India in which he picked 44 wickets and his best figure is 4 wickets for 72 runs in an innings.
- He has played 125 ODI in which he has picked up 157 wickets and his best performance is 6 wickets for 23 runs against England in the 2003 World Cup.
- He has played 27 T20 internationals for India in which he has 34 wickets and his best bowling figure in a match is 3 for 19.
- In the Indian Premier League, he has 106 wickets to his name in 88 matches. His best figure in the IPL is 4 wickets for 10 runs.
Ashish Nehra Achievements
- He has the best figures by an Indian in a world cup as he took 6 wickets for 23 runs against England in the 2003 World Cup.
- He is the only Indian to take 6 wickets twice in ODIs against England in World Cup 2003 and against Sri Lanka in Colombo.
- Nehra has had the fourth-longest career for any Indian cricketer with 18 years and 250 days.
- Has won the 2011 ICC Cricket World Cup with team India.
- He won the 2016 Indian Premier League with Sunrisers Hyderabad.
Ashish Nehra Bio Data
- Real Name: Ashish Diwan Singh Nehra
- Nickname: Nehra Ji
- Profession: Indian Cricketer (Fast-medium bowler)
- Height: 6’ 0”
- Weight: 70 kg
- Eye Colour: Black
- Hair Colour: Black
- Date of Birth: 29 April 1979
- Age: 40 Years
- Birth Place Delhi, India
- Zodiac sign/Sun sign: Taurus
- Nationality: Indian
- Hometown: Delhi, India
- School: Salwan Public School, Delhi
- College: Rajdhani College, New Delhi
- Educational Qualifications: Graduate
- Father: Diwan Singh Nehra
- Mother: Sumitra Nehra
- Brother: Bhanu Nehra (Restaurateur)
- Religion: Hinduism
- Caste: Jat
- Hobbies: Listening to music
- Marital Status: Married
- Affairs/Girlfriends: Rushma Nehra
- Wife/Spouse: Rushma Nehra
- Daughter: Ariana Nehra
- Son: Aarush Nehra
- Coach/Mentor: Tarak Sinha
- Jersey Number: #64 (India) #64 (IPL, County Cricket)
- Major Teams: Mumbai Indians, Delhi Daredevils, Delhi, Asia XI, India, Pune Warriors, Chennai Super Kings, North Zone, Sunrisers Hyderabad