|Full Name:||Kapil Dev Ramlal Nikhanj|
|Nickname:||KD, Haryana Hurricane|
|Date of Birth:||06th January 1959|
|Hobbies:||Golf, Table Tennis|
|Height:||183 cm, 1.83 m, 6′|
|Weight:||80 kg, 176 lbs|
|Eye Color:||Dark Brown|
|Mother:||Raj Kumari Lajwanti|
|Father:||Ram Lal Nikhanj|
|Children:||Amiya Dev (Daughter)|
Kapil Dev's Biography
The first-ever captain to have led India to their maiden World Cup title, Kapil Dev is one of the most celebrated cricketers in India. The former Indian skipper will also be remembered for leading the side to clinch the biggest tournament in cricket.
Kapil Dev is counted among the greatest all-rounders in world cricket. He holds the record for being the only cricketer to have scored 5000 runs and taken 400 wickets in Test Cricket. Besides, he was the first player to have taken 200 wickets in ODI cricket.
When Kapil Dev announced his retirement from International Cricket, he was the highest wicket-taker in Tests, a record which was later broken by Courtney Walsh in 2000. Kapil Dev was inducted in the ICC Cricket Hall of fame on 11th March 2010.
Kapil Dev's Personal Info
Age: Veteran all-rounder turned 61 years old on 6th January 2020. He made his Test debut against Pakistan at just 19 years of age.
Birthday: Kapil Dev celebrates his birthday on 6th January. He was born on 6th January 1959.
Height: Standing at 6 feet tall, Kapil Dev is one of the tallest cricketers in the history of Indian cricket.
Kapil Dev's Family Info
Kapil Dev took his birth on 6th January 1959. He was born to his father Ram Lal Nikhanj, who was a timber merchant, and his mother, Raj Kumari Ram Lal Nikanjh. He was born and brought up in Chandigarh. Kapil Dev has 4 sisters and two brothers.
He tied the knot to Romi Bhatia in the year 1980. To know more about his family members and his love affair with his wife, Click Here.
Kapil Dev's Career Stats
Domestic Career: Kapil Dev made his first-class debut for Haryana against Punjab in November 1975. He took 6 wickets in his game and helped his side bundle out Punjab for just 63 runs. In his first season, he accumulated 121 wickets in 30 matches. The former Indian skipper went onto produce many such heroic acts in his domestic cricket in the following seasons until he makes his debut in 1978.
International Career: On 16th October 1978, Kapil Dev made his debut in Test cricket against Pakistan in Faislabad. He castled Saqib Mohammad to claim his first Test wicket. He exhibited his batting prowess in his third Test when he scored the fastest half-century off just 33 balls.
He went on to claim a mountain of wickets and score a plethora of runs in his international cricket. To know about his complete journey in domestic as well as international cricket, Click Here.
Awards & Achievements
- In the year 1994, Kapil Dev became the first cricketer to grab 434 wickets, breaking Sir Richard Hadlee’s record for the most number of wickets.
- He is the only player in international cricket to score 5000 runs and 400 wickets in Test cricket.
- He also holds the record for playing the most number of innings (184) without getting run out.
- Kapil Dev was also the youngest cricketer to achieve the milestone of 100, 200 and 300 wickets in the International cricket.
- Kapil Dev is the only player in international cricket to achieve a 9 wicket haul in the International cricket.
- Kapil Dev holds the world record of making the highest score of 175 runs while playing at the number 6 position.
- He was awarded the Arjuna award in 1979, Padma Shri in 1982 and Padma Bhushan in 1992.
- In 2013, he was awarded the CK Naidu Lifetime Achievement Award and was also honoured as the lieutenant colonel in the Indian Territorial Army in 2008.
Lesser Known Facts about Kapil Dev's
- Kapil Dev is not a big-time junkie in terms of food and he largely loves the home-cooked food cooked by his mother only. His favourite dishes are Palak Paneer and Aloo paratha.
- Kapil dev drives Porsche Panamera, which he bought right after the launch of the car by the Porsche Company.
- Kapil Dev loves holidaying in Goa and it is also one of his most favourite tourist spots amongst all the places around the world.
- Apart from Cricket, Kapil Dev is also a famous golfer and after getting retired from cricket, he put all his time and focuses on the Golf only.
- Kapil Dev has turned into a successful entrepreneur from a cricketer and one of his biggest business ventures Dev Musco indulges in equipping the cricket stadiums with the floodlights.
- Kapil dev comes from a rich family that was indulged in the timber business. He never has to look back in terms of financial security in his early days of struggle in the cricket world.
- Since he loved to drink a lot of milk, his father kept two buffaloes especially for him.
- While being a kid, Kapil Dev was once taunted for his “I am a fast bowler” remark by the then coach Keki Tarapore and that as something which triggered the zest of becoming a fast bowler in him.
- Kapil Dev has also featured in two Bollywood movies named “Iqbal” and “Mujhse Shaadi Karogi” during his time after retirement from cricket.
Kapil Dev's Net Worth
As of now, Kapil dev’s total net worth is estimated to be INR 211 crores. He earns most of his income from his business venture Dev Musco which is indulged in the business of putting floodlights to the stadiums around India. Along with his business, he earns some good money from his stint as a commentator for various sports channels around the world.
He also holds the ownership of a hotel and a restaurant in Chandigarh named, “Captain’s Eleven” and ‘Kaptian’ Retreat Hotel” respectively.
He also owns Porsche Panamera which is valued around 2.67 crores in the Indian market.
He has also done some big investments in the lieu of $3 million in the Indian trading league launched by Samco. Moreover, he has endorsed various brands during and after his career which includes Pepsi, Coca-cola, MRF and so on.
Social Media Presence
Former Indian skipper, Kapil Dev doesn’t have a great fascination for social media. While he has accounts on all social media platforms, he doesn’t remain too active. He has 74.2k followers on Instagram and has only 38 posts as of 12th July 2020. On Twitter, he has close to 400k followers.