Kapil Dev Biography : Ever since the game of cricket has established on the world map, it has seen some of the best players making their mark with some great performances on the pitch. Kapil Dev is one such big name who has not only proved his prowess in the cricket world with his all-round skills but has emerged as one of the topmost cricketers ever produced by India.
While Kapil dev is best known for his heroics in the 1983 World Cup as the captain of the world cup winning team, he has proved himself as one of the greatest all-rounder ever played the game.
Early Life and Childhood – Kapil Dev Biography
Kapil Dev Biography : Kapil Dev was born on January 6, 1959 to Ram Lal Nikhanj and Raj Kumari in Chandigarh, Punjab. While his family basically belongs to Rawalpindi, Pakistan, they migrated to India after the partition in 1947. His father was a building and timber contractor and his mother was a homemaker. As far as his primary education is concerned, he did his schooling from DAV school in Chandigarh but later switched over to St Edward’s school in Shimla.
Little Kapil was passionate about cricket form his childhood and that was something which made his chase his passion from an early age only. Moreover, his parents rendered him full support during the same process and that’s was something which kickstarted his journey forward towards the cricket world.
Establishing himself in Domestic Cricket with a Bang! – Kapil Dev Biography
Kapil Dev Biography : Kapil Dev made his debut in the domestic circuit whilst playing for Haryana against Punjab in the 1975 season. It was in his first match only that he rattled the opposition batting order with his fierce bowling and scalping six wickets in the process. It was due to his valiant efforts only within his first match only that Punjab got bundled out for a score of just 63 runs.
After playing for the Haryana team in the 1975 season, he went on to play for Jammu Kashmir in the next year coming and within his first match for the J&K team, he scalped 8 wickets and scored 36 runs in the process. That was the same years which saw him taking a career best figure of 7 for 20 runs against the Bengal team. His great run in the domestic circuit continued for the next season as well as he went on to grab his first 10 wicket haul in a match against the team of Services. This was the same reason which got him to earn a spot in the Deodhar Trophy, Irani Trophy and Duleep Trophy simultaneously.
Well this was just the start he has dreamt for his Domestic cricket career and this seasoned cricketer brought on a list of all-round performances in the process which also included his maiden century against the Delhi team where he scored 193 runs in the match. One of his benchmark performances came in the Ranji season in the year 1991 when he single handedly took his team to the title glory whilst emerging out as one of the best performers of the whole tournament.
Making his mark in the International Cricket – Kapil Dev Biography
Kapil Dev Biography : After a string of impressive performances in the domestic circuit, Kapil Dev made his debut in the International cricket against the team of Pakistan in October 1978. Although his debut wasn’t been that impressive, he made his presence counted in the coming matches for his National team. Finally in 1979, whilst playing for the Indian team against the touring West Indies team, he made his maiden century whilst scoring an impressive 126 runs of just 124 balls. That was not it as he also grabbed 17 wickets within the same series along with some good runs to his name.
Kapil Dev was finding his golden touch with every game coming and he kept on his impressive run with both bat and ball in the next series against England in 1979. That was the same tour where he also picked his first 5 wicket haul against the host team.
Getting towards the World Cup Glory in 1983 – Kapil Dev Biography
Kapil Dev Biography : During the 1979-80 tour of Australia, Kapil dev once again proved his prowess by grabbing two 5 wicket hauls and 28 wickets in total in the series and established him as one of the leading strike bowlers for the Indian team. He continued his great run in the home series against the Pakistan team where he played a big role in Indian victory over their arch rivals Pakistan in the 6 match series. Not only he made 278 runs with 32 wickets, but also took two ten wicket haul and two half centuries in the process.
This was something which pushed the selectors to appoint him as the Captain of the world cup squad and even while Indian team was quoted as an underdog in the tournament, they went on to surprise everyone with their miraculous performance in the whole tournament and beating down the favorites West Indian team in the finals quite convincingly. This was the moment which made him an outright favorite amongst the Indian cricket fans and established him in the list of the Elite cricketers around the world.
The Golden Era of his Cricketing Career – Kapil Dev Biography
Kapil Dev Biography : After bringing the world cup glory to India, he was once again been selected as a captain for the Indian team in the next world cup organized at the Indian subcontinent and India did performed well under his captaincy whilst reaching the semifinals of the tournament. Still he left Captaincy after the Indian team went down to the English team in the semis and continued his stint with the national team as their main stalwart in both batting and bowling.
Coming to an End to his Illustrious Cricket Career – Kapil Dev Biography
Kapil Dev Biography : Even though he left the Captaincy after the world cup loss in the semis for the Indian team, he went on to deliver some stellar performances for the Indian team in the process. He then went on to make his last appearance in the world cup whilst playing under the Captaincy of Mohammed Azharuddin and played a big role in motivating and mentoring young bowlers like Javagal Srinath and Manoj Prabhakar.
Finally in the year 1994, this legendary cricketer hung up his boots and retired from all forms of cricket after becoming the highest wicket taker of that time with 434 wickets in his kitty. Although he went on to coach the Indian team in 1999, he resigned from that role too after being surrounded by a list of controversies around the Indian cricket team.
Awards, Record and Achievements during his Career – Kapil Dev Biography
- In the year 1994, Kapil Dev becomes the first cricketer to grab the 434 wickets whilst breaking the record for the number of wickets by Sir Richard Hadlee.
- He is the only player in the International cricket to grab a double of 4000 test runs and 400 test wickets.
- He also holds the record for playing the most number of innings (184) without getting run out.
- He is also the youngest cricketer to achieve the milestone of 100, 200 and 300 wickets in the International cricket.
- He is the only player in the International cricket to achieve a 9 wicket haul in the International cricket.
- Kapil Dev holds the world record of making the highest score of 175 runs whilst playing at the number 6 position.
- He was awarded with the Arjuna award in 1979, Padma Shri in 1982 and Padma Bhushan in 1992.
- In 2013, he was been awarded with the CK Naidu Lifetime achievement award and also been honored as the lieutenant colonel in the Indian Territorial army in 2008.
Some Unknown Facts about Kapil Dev
- Kapil Dev is not a big time junkie in terms of food and he largely loves the home cooked food by his mother only. His favorite dishes are Palak Paneer and Aloo paratha.
- Kapil dev drives one of the best cars of the current era: Porsche Panamera which he bought right after the launch of the car by the Porsche Company.
- Kapil dev Loves holidaying in Goa and it is also one of his most favorite tourist spots amongst all the places around the world.
- Apart from Cricket, Kapil Dev is also a famous golfer and after getting retired from cricket, he put all his time and focuses on the golf only.
- Kapil Dev has turned into a successful entrepreneur from a cricketer and one of his biggest business ventures Dev Musco indulges in equipping the cricket stadiums with the floodlights.
- Kapil dev comes from a rich family which was indulged in the timber business or long and that was the reason he never has to look back in terms of financial security in his early days of struggle in the cricket world.
- Since he loved to drink a lot of milk, his father kept two buffaloes specially for him and whilst that’s been done, we surely know what was the reason behind his unbelievable strength and power
- Whilst being a kid, Kapil Dev was once taunted for his “ I am a fast bowler” remark by the then coach Keki Tarapore and that as something which triggered the zest of becoming a fast bowler in him
- Kapil Dev has also featured in two Bollywood movies named “Iqbal“ and “ Mujhse Shaadi Karogi” during his time after retirement from cricket
Controversies in Kapil Dev’s Career
His bitter relationship with Sunil Gavaskar
Not many people are aware but this fact but Kapil dev never really had a sweet relationship with his fellow cricketer Sunil Gavaskar all along his career. It all started during the selection of the Captain before the world cup 1983 and after a list of hassle and tussle, Kapil Dev was been awarded the captaincy of the Indian team and even though he made the Indian team rose to glory under his captaincy, that connected with the Little master never got reinstated.
Kapil Dev and the Rebel league
After the Indian team went through a debacle in the 2007 World Cup, Kapil Dev went on to put out all his frustration on BCCI and their selection committee for the same. Moreover, he started this new T20 league named ICL (Indian Cricket League) with some new and talented cricketers from around the globe including the Indian domestic circuit to provide some fresh talent to the Indian cricket. However, the league was banned by BCCI and all the participating players were given notice that if they keep on playing in the league, they would never get on to feature for the team Indian ever again.
Moreover, all the International players were been reprimanded by their respective boards under the influence of BCCI about their continuation in ICL. Finally, in 2008-2009, the league came to an end due to low TRPs and even terror attacks on the country during that period.
Personal Life and Controversies about his Wedding with Romi – Kapil Dev Biography
Kapil Dev Biography : Just like almost every other cricketer, Kapil dev also has some serious relationship with yesteryear’s actor Sarika and they both dated each other for quiet long time. Whilst everyone was assuming that they both would get married eventually, Kapil dev ditched her and went on to marry his childhood love Romi. The whole drama around his wedding created a lot of spark in the media and sports fraternity but Kapil dev always acclaimed that Romi was always his first choice in terms of marriage.
Net Worth of Kapil Dev
Kapil Dev Biography : As of now, Kapil dev’s Total net worth is around 211 crore INR and he earns most of his income from his business venture Dev Musco which is indulged in the business of putting floodlights o the stadiums around India. Along with his business, he earns some good money from his stint as a commentator for various sports channels around the world. He also holds the ownership of a hotel and a restaurant in Chandigarh named as, “Captain’s Eleven” and “Kaptian’ Retreat Hotel” respectively.
He also own as Porsche Panamera which is valued around 2.67 crores in the Indian market. He has also done some big investments in the lieu of $3 million in the Indian trading league launched by Samco. Moreover, he has endorsed various brand during and after his career which includes Pepsi, Coca-cola, MRF and so on.