Pravin Tambe Introduction
What does a 48-year-old cricketer normally do? In almost all cases, the player has already hung his boots, perhaps doing some commentary work or has gone completely off the 22 yards, and is doing future planning. But the man in question here, Pravin Tambe is not your regular 48-year-old. While people a lot younger than him are a part of the ‘legends‘ team in the Road Safety World Series, Pravin Tambe is focusing on the upcoming Indian Premier League.
Cricket has had its fair share of late bloomers, but none of those stories is like Tambe’s. He is a current member of an IPL side, who made his first-class debut after he celebrated his 40th birthday. The spinner who used to take part in local tournaments made his way into the top at a stage where most of his compatriots quit playing. An inspiration for many, Tambe still continues to trap batters with his cunning spin.
Pravin Tambe Batting and Fielding Averages
Pravin Tambe Bowling Averages
Pravin Tambe Early Life
- Pravin Tambe was born on October 8, 1971, at Mumbai, Maharashtra.
- His father’s name is Vijay Tambe.
- His father also used to play cricket, for a team called Johnson and Johnson. Tambe used to accompany his father to the games, from where he took an interest in cricket.
- Tambe was a part of the Orient Shipping team from 1994 to 2004.
- Initially, he was a fast bowler. But his captain at Orient Shipping, Ajay Kadam advised him to have a go at leg-spin. Tambe got a lot of success in this new trait, and never looked back since.
- His mother’s name is Jyoti Tambe.
- Tambe was also a part of the famous Shivaji Park Gymkhana team.
- Tambe once impressed the former Indian cricketer Sandeep Patil with his flippers.
- In 2004, Orient Shipping wrapped their business. With that, the cricket team also came to a permanent halt.
- After that, Tambe moved to the DY Patil side.
- In 1998, he won the Raj Kapoor Trophy in Chembur, which happened to be a tennis-ball tournament.
- Tambe has been a part of the Prescot & Odyssey club, Rainford cricket club and St Helens Recreation of England.
- He has worked as the liaison officer during matches at the DY Patil Stadium.
Pravin Tambe IPL Career
- Tambe got his chance at IPL in 2013, when Rajasthan Royals signed him.
- He was scouted by Rahul Dravid and Paddy Upton.
- After a domestic T20 tournament, the sports director of DY Patil, Abey Kuruvilla told Tambe that Royals have scouted him.
- In the trails, Tambe bowled exceptionally well. Not even a single batsman could play a big shot against his spin. That’s when Rahul Dravid mentioned that he doesn’t care about his age, but it is craft that has impressed him.
- With Royals getting a temporary suspension, Tambe switched base to Gujarat Lions.
- Currently, he is a part of Kolkata Knight Riders.
Pravin Tambe Domestic Career
- Tambe made his T20 debut against Delhi Daredevils (now Delhi Capitals), on May 7, 2013. He couldn’t get a wicket.
- His first-class debut came six months later, in a Ranji Trophy game against Odisha. He didn’t get a wicket in the first innings, but dismissed both of Odisha’s openers, Girija Rout and Govinda Poddar, in the second.
- His List A debut came only in 2017, in a Vijay Hazare Trophy game against Gujarat. He took the wickets of Chirag Parmar and Jasprit Bumrah in this game.
- He was the highest wicket-taker in Champions League T20 2013. He picked up 12 wickets in just 5 games.
- He picked up a hat-trick in IPL 2014, against Kolkata Knight Riders.
- He was the first bowler to hit double figures in terms of wickets, after just 4 games in Champions League T20.
- He is the first player to take a hat-trick in the 10-over format of the game.
- Tambe also is the first player to get a 5-wicket haul in the 10-over format.