Monu Kumar Introduction
In any sports and cricket, in particular, we have seen many young and exciting talents fade into oblivion once they grow older. If we look at the squad India had during the ICC U19 World Cup 2019, we will see a few familiar names. Players like Kuldeep Yadav and Shreyas Iyer have already made it big. Players like Sanju Samson and Deepak Hooda have also made a name for themselves.
But in that very team, there was a pacer who was a menace for every opposition – Monu Kumar Singh. Singh was once thought to be India’s next pace commander, but while people like Jasprit Bumrah and Bhuvneshwar Kumar got their placed nailed in the side, the limelight fell off him. But the sign of a good cricketer is his ‘never give up’ attitude, and after a few bad years, Kumar is once again back into the fray.
Monu Kumar Batting and Fielding averages
Monu Kumar Bowling averages
Monu Kumar Early Life
- Monu Kumar was born on 5 November 1994, in Ranchi, Jharkhand.
- He was a part of the Indian team for the ICC U19 World Cup 2004.
- There was a huge buzz about him because of the pace he generated, over getting over 140 clicks per hour.
- Mahendra Singh Dhoni’s Chennai Super Kings bought him at the 2018 IPL auctions. They had to fork out INR 25 lakhs to acquire his signature.
- He has been retained for the upcoming edition of the competition.
- Monu loves to travel.
- Music and movies are the two escapes Singh uses when he needs a break from the 22 yards.
- He played 3 games in the U19 World Cup. He conceded only 62 runs and took 4 wickets.
- Three of those wickets were against Papua New Guinea, whereas another one was against mighty England.
- Mahendra Singh Dhoni has been a big influence on his life. While speaking about him, he told Wion News “I got to learn a lot under MS Dhoni during that Vijay Hazare Trophy campaign. He advised me a lot on how to think as a bowler and where to bowl. I’m excited to be picked up by CSK on my Indian Premier League debut, more so because Mahi Bhaiya (MS Dhoni) is leading the side and he knows how to extract the best out of me, he knows my bowling.”
- Not only with MS Dhoni, but Singh is with good terms with Dhoni’s wife Sakshi as well. During IPL, social media often gets a dose of their fun activities together.
- Singh has also heaped praises on Eric Simmons and Lakshmipathy Balaji for their inputs.
Monu Kumar Domestic Career
- Monu Kumar’s List A debut came on March 4, 2014, against Assam at Ranchi. He conceded 60 runs from his quota of 10 overs. He also picked up the wicket of Jamaluddin Syed Mohammad.
- His T20 debut came on January 3, 2016, against Tripura at Kochi. It was in a Group B clash of the Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy. He conceded 30 runs in this match but failed to take any wicket.
- He is yet to play a first-class game.
Monu Kumar Achievements
- Monu Kumar Singh was amongst the top 10 wicket-takers in the 2017-18 National Twenty20 Championship.
- He has a 4-wicket haul in domestic cricket.