Murugan Ashwin Introduction
The thing that comes into almost everyone’s mind when they hear ‘Ashwin’, is the picture of a very talented spinner, who once was an engineer from Tamil Nadu. That picture is of Ravichandran Ashwin. But there is another Ashwin, who is also a very talented spinner, and who is also an engineer from Tamil Nadu. In fact, he did his engineering from the same college as Ravichandran Ashwin’s.
We are talking about Murugan Ashwin, Kings XI Punjab‘s mystery leggie. Ashwin was quite a late bloomer. Though he made his first-class debut when he was 22 years of age, he did not get many chances. It was only until he crossed 25 that things changed for Ashwin. He got a chance at the domestic T20 competition, and it was all that Ashwin needed to make a mark. Soon, the IPL contracts with big fat pay-cheques started flowing in.
Murugan Ashwin Batting and Fielding Averages
Murugan Ashwin Bowling Averages
Murugan Ashwin Early Life
- Murugan Ashwin was born on September 8, 1990, Chennai, Tamil Nadu.
- He spent his initial cricketing days at former Tamil Nadu cricketer CS Suresh Kumar’s academy.
- He was mainstay of the Tamil Nadu Under-23s side.
- Though he has not played for the franchise, he has been a net bowler for Chennai Super Kings for a long time.
- He did his schooling from Chennai’s Santhome Higher Secondary School, and the DAV Public School.
- After his schooling, he pursued an engineering degree in mechanical engineering.
- He studied for his engineering course at the Sri Sivasubramaniya Nadar College of Engineering.
- Just by sheer coincidence, Ashwin’s namesake Ravichandran Ashwin also graduated from the same college.
- His father’s name is Era Murugan Ramasami. He is a writer. He is also the Vice President of HCL.
- Ashwin grew up idolizing Indian legend Sachin Tendulkar, and the legendary Australian spinner Shane Warne.
- Ashwin is married to Aishwarya Subramanian.
- Ashwin was always very bright in studies. He scored 93% in his 10th standard examination. In his 12th standard examinations, he scored 94.5%.
- Even in mechanical engineering, he maintained a brilliant GPA of 8.
Murugan Ashwin Domestic Career
- The leggie made his first-class debut on November 2, 2012. It was against Odisha at Cuttack. Unfortunately, only 33.1 overs were bowled in that match. Ashwin didn’t get a chance either with the bat or with the ball.
- Ashwin made his List A debut on on 11 December 2015, at the 2015–16 Vijay Hazare Trophy. It was against Mumbai at Hyderabad. This time, he took 3 wickets by conceding only 38 runs. Two of those wickets were of very big fishes – centurion Akhil Herwadkar and the dangerous Siddhesh Lad.
- He made his T20 debut on 2 January 2016, at the 2015–16 Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy. It was against Haryana at Nagpur. Ashwin picked up 3 wickets in this game as well, and conceded only 28 runs.
Murugan Ashwin IPL Career
- His first chance to play in the Indian Premier League was provided by the now-disbanded franchise Rising Pune Supergiant, in 2016.
- The Pune franchise broke their bank and paid INR 4.5 crores to acquire his services.
- A year later, he was signed by Delhi Capitals for INR 1 crore.
- In the next season, he played for Virat Kohli’s Royal Challengers Bangalore.
- His merry-go-round continued as only after one season, he shifted base to Kings XI Punjab.
- In the next season as well he will be seen playing for Kings XI Punjab. This is the first time he will play two successive IPL seasons for the same team.
Murugan Ashwin Achievements
- He was the second-highest wicket-taker for Tamil Nadu at the 2015-16 Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy.