Bombayla Devi is an archer from Indian. She has represented Indian several times from 2007 on the national level as well as the international level. In the year 2009 she was ranked in 14th position in the world for her brilliant performance in her archery competitions.
Bombayla Devi Early Life
She was born in 22nd February 1985, She belongs from a family with a rich history of Indian sports representatives. At the tender age of 11, she started to receive proper training from the Sports Authority of India, in her birthplace Imphal.
Bombayla Devi Personal Life
Bombayla Devi’s mother and father both were into sports, M. Jamini Devi her mother was herself an archer in the Indian national team who later also coached the Indian national team and Manglem Singh her father is the coach of the Handball team in Manipur.
Talking about the birth of her name, Bombayla once said in an interview, “I’m not sure how the word spread, but no, I wasn’t born in Bombay.” “I was born in Imphal. It’s just that my father really liked the name Bombayla, so it stayed.”
Bombayla toiled hard in her early days to come where she has today. “I almost quit the sport because it all got very hectic. On days when I didn’t feel like training, I would go straight home from school, but my mother would promptly drop me off at the ground to ensure that I didn’t miss a single session. And I’m glad now that she did so back then,” she mentioned in an interview.
Bombayla Devi Professional Life
Bombayla Devi broke into the Indian team in 2006 and went to her first international competition at the 1st Asian Archery Championship in Dhaka, Bangladesh. “I was under a lot of pressure. I had never left the country before that, and I was the newest member on the team.” The next year, in 2007, Bombayla came back with an individual gold in the recurve event at the Asian Archery Grand Prix in Isfahan, Iran. “It’s my favourite medal because it was my first individual gold. Even today when the chips are down, I try to visualise my state of mind during that event and it definitely helps,”
She gained recognition in her Career in the year 2007, where she and her team bagged bronze at the Asian Archery Championship in the year 2007. She represented India at the 2008 Beijing Olympics, in the team event they lost to China and in her individual event, she lost to Iwona Marcinkiewicz from Poland. In the Commonwealth games of 2010 she bagged gold in the team event. In 2011 at the World cup held in Shanghai bagged the gold medal defeating Italy. In the Olympics held in London she lost to Aida Roman. She bagged her first individual medal in the Asian Archery Championships. In the year 2016 she lost to Alejandra Valencia at the Rio Olympics.
Bombayla told about how she envisions success, mentioning, “I think the key to success is knowing your teammates so well that you are all essentially one person. It doesn’t matter how old the other members are. I’ve been as compatible with Dola (now 38), as I have been with Deepika Kumari (now 24). What is important is to reach a frequency that everyone is comfortable with.”
Bombayla prepares for her tournaments in a very unique fashion. “Before any competition, I speak with my mother, who gives me the same pep talk, but it never gets old. I also distract myself with some television before gearing up for competition. That winning feeling is simply incredible.”
- She received the Arjuna Award in 2012.
- She received the Padma Shri Award in 2019.
Bombayla Devi Achievements
- She won silver at the world championships in the year 2011, Torino.
- She won bronze at the World cup in the year 2007, Dover.
- She won bronze at the World cup in the year 2009, Antalya.
- She won silver at the world cup in the year 2010, Ogden.
- She won bronze at the world cup in the year 2011, Antalya.
- She won silver at the world cup in the year 2011, Ogden.
- She won gold at the world cup in the year 2011, Shanghai.
- She won silver at the world cup in the year 2012, Shanghai.
- She won gold at the world cup in the year 2013, Medellin.
- She won gold at the world cup in the year 2013, Wroclaw.
- She won silver at the world cup in the year 2014, Medellin.
- She won silver at the world cup in the year 2014, Antalya.
- She won gold at the world cup in the year 2015, Wroclaw.
- She won silver at the world cup in the year 2016, Shanghai.
- She won gold at the Commonwealth Games in the year 2010.
- She won gold at the Asian Games in the year, 2010, Guangzhou.
Height: 1.64 m.
Weight: 60 kg.
Eye Color: Black.
Hair color: Black.
Bombayla Devi Personal information
Full Name: Bombayla Devi Laishram.
Date of Birth: 22/02/1985.
Zodiac Sign: Pisces.
Hobbies: Music, Travelling & Cooking.
Bombayla Devi Net Worth
Bombayla Devi’s Net Worth is estimated to be $ 19 Million.
Bombayla Devi has not been invoilved in any controversy.
Social Media Profiles
Bombayla Devi Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Bombayla-Devi-Laishram-1712895565626300/
Bombayla Devi Twitter: NA
Bombayla Devi Instagram: NA