The next season of IPL will be bigger with the addition of two more teams in the form of Lucknow and Ahmadabad ahead of IPL 2022 mega auctions few players have been retained by eight existing franchises. As per the latest retention policy, every franchise was allowed to retain a maximum of four players from a total purse amount of 90 crores, and players like Kohli, Jadeja, Dhoni, Williamson, Rohit, and Bumrah along with a few others have been retained so far.
The two new franchises will get an opportunity to retain three more players ahead of the mega auction but based on retention so far by the existing franchise there are some takeaways that we need to discuss in detail. Let’s share them one by one in the form of descriptions below:
- Every team has retained its key players who have played instrumental roles in the leadership in the last few years be it Williamson, Dhoni, Kohli, Rohit, or Jadeja.
- Some of the young players retained by the franchise including the likes of Yashasvi Jaiswal, Arshdeep Singh, Abdul Samad, and Umran Malik clearly indicate that some franchises are building the roadmap for upcoming years.
- These young players have been retained along with experienced players so that the latter can groom these youngsters for the future.
- Most of the franchises have retained Indian players rather than retaining 2 overseas players slot which indicates that every franchise knows that a strong Indian contingent is mandatory to do well in every IPL season and the perfect example is Delhi Capitals who have shown extreme faith in players like Rishabh Pant, Axar Patel and Prithvi Shaw.
- The overseas players including the likes of Jos Butler, Moeen Ali, Kane Williamson and Kieron Pollard who are big names when it comes to T20 cricket has been retained and shown immense confidence in their abilities as on their day they can change the dynamics of the game in quick succession.