KM Asif Introduction
India is a country where people treat cricket as a religion. In every street, there is a player who dreams of being the next Sachin Tendulkar. But there are a few players, where cricket takes the backseat and some other sport takes the driver’s seat. One such place is Kolkata, where craze about football is huge. The other place is Kerala, which also loves its football.
Hailing from Malappuram, the hub of football in Kerala, speedster KM Asif had a dream of wearing the blue jersey of India. Not the cricketer’s jersey, but a footballer’s. But life had some other plans, and the big ball on his feet soon got converted into a small ball in his hand. The player who often crosses the 140kmph mark is on Chennai Super Kings‘s payroll for the IPL.
KM Asif Batting and Fielding averages
KM Asif Bowling averages
KM Asif Early Life
- KM Asif was born on July 24, 1993, in Edavanna, Malappuram, Kerala.
- He did his schooling from the GV Raja Sports School in Thiruvananthapuram.
- Though he played tennis ball cricket as a child, he started taking the game seriously at a much later stage in his career.
- His mentor during his initial days was Biju George, who was once the fielding coach of the Indian team.
- He has one brother and an elder sister.
- He has been a fan of Mahendra Singh Dhoni and Dale Steyn since childhood. He always wanted to play under Dhoni’s captaincy, which he eventually did in IPL. Chennai had to fork out INR 40 lakhs to get him in their roster.
- Asif’s father was a labourer. He shifted from Kerala to Dubai, to earn better wages and support his family.
- He has been a part of Kerala U22 and Kerala U25 side.
- Before being picked up by Chennai Super Kings, he has been a net bowler for Kolkata Knight Riders.
- Former Australian cricketer Jeff Thomson spotted Asif in a session and heaped praises on him.
- The boy is a natural. He can hit high speed quite effortlessly and I noticed him a couple of years ago during a clinic (organised by Kerala Cricket Association). If he gets proper training and maintains his workload then the boy can be a good asset to any team. He has got control over the ball,” Thomson told Mykhel.com.
KM Asif Domestic Career
- Asif made his T20 debut against Goa in Visakhapatnam, on January 12, 2018. He picked up 3 wickets in this match and conceded only 25 runs.
- His List A debut came on February 9, 2018, against Himachal Pradesh at Nadaun. He was impressive in this game as well and picked up three wickets yet again on his debut.
- His first-class debut came on December 9, 2019, against Delhi at Thumba. Asif failed to pick up any wicket in this game.
- He was one of the 13 players who were sanctioned by Kerala, after an altercation with Sachin Baby. He expressed his dissent against his skipper, Baby. He was also amongst the five players who were banned for three matches because of this incident.
KM Asif Achievements
- He has picked up a 4-wicket haul in a List A cricket.
- He has picked up 3-wicket hauls on both his T20 and List A debut.
- During his debut match against Goa, Asif bowled a delivery at 144 kmph.