MS Dhoni is certainly one of the best limited over skipper who has ever played the game of Cricket and his achievement of lifting three ICC trophies in 2007, 2011, and 2013 respectively as captain speaks a volume about his tactical skills as a leader.
Apart from this, under his leadership, India achieved the number 1 spot in ICC Test ranking which often gets ignored and all the focus about him is only shifted to limited over format. He has also successfully led CSK for three IPL titles with the Yellow army qualifying for yet another playoff of IPL 2021 and if he is successfully able to win that IPL title tally will reach 4.
Recently Naseer Hussain while responding to a question asked on Sky Sports replied that “MS Dhoni is the greatest white-ball captain ever” but what most experts are missing is that the “Indian cricketing system will not produce another complete skipper like MS Dhoni “. There are several pointers to prove this statement.
- Let us rewind the resume of Dhoni as skipper which includes success at different ICC tournaments, ICC Test ranking, and IPL which no other Indian skipper has achieved which makes him “Complete Captain”.
- Dhoni’s tactical skills as a skipper at the age of 40 can be clearly seen in IPL 2021 where he has successfully guided his franchise for yet another playoff of the cash-rich league which seems difficult for another Indian skipper to be that good at that age.
- Dhoni’s ability to persisting with match-winners along with maneuvering field based on situation and reading the game in advance standing behind the wickets is the rarest quality you find in another Indian skipper.
- People might think Rohit Sharma is a more successful skipper than Dhoni but those so-called experts should analyze that Rohit has led Mumbai Indians for five IPL titles along with Asia Cup which India lifted in 2018. But the ace batsman was struggling to even find a place in playing X1 unless 2019 where he reemerged as skipper.
- Dhoni’s ability to not change his team playing X1 does not just bring out the best of his players as they know that their skipper is backing them immensely and they need to deliver as soon as possible.