The 2023 Asia Cup concluded yesterday, with India emerging as continental champions for the 8th time in their history. They secured this title with an impressive 10-wicket victory over reigning champions Sri Lanka at Colombo’s iconic R Premadasa Stadium. This unexpected outcome unfolded as the home team was bowled out for a mere 50 runs.
This continental tournament served as valuable preparation for the upcoming ICC Cricket World Cup 2023, scheduled to commence next month in India. A total of 13 matches were contested throughout the course of two weeks, spanning venues in both Pakistan and Sri Lanka. While matches in Pakistan proceeded without interruptions, the games in Sri Lanka were frequently affected by rainy conditions.
In the initial encounter between India and Pakistan during the Asia Cup 2023, incessant rain prevented the match from progressing beyond the 1st innings. However, when they faced each other for the second time in the Super 4 stage, the match was completed on the reserve day, resulting in a resounding 228-run victory for India.
During the virtual semi-final clash between Pakistan and Sri Lanka, the game had to be reduced to 42 overs due to weather constraints, ultimately culminating in a thrilling tie decided on the final ball, with Sri Lanka emerging victorious.
As the curtain falls on the battle for Asia Cup 2023, cricket enthusiasts’ focus now shifts to the ICC Cricket World Cup next month. Reigning champions England are set to kick off the tournament with the opening match against the 2019 edition’s runners-up, New Zealand, scheduled for October 5.
However, before delving into the World Cup excitement, let’s take a moment to recognize the Top 5 Batters who scored the most Fifties in Asia Cup 2023.
- Kusal Mendis: The Sri-Lankan Right handed batter had an overall decent Asia Cup 2023 campaign despite the Lankan lions facing an embarrassing loss in the final against India. Mendis was Sri-Lanka’s best batter and the tournament’s 2nd highest scorer with 270 runs. He also scored the highest number of Half-centuries – 3 with a highest score of 92 in 6 Asia Cup innings.
- Rohit Sharma: As the Hitman won his 2nd Asia Cup title as Captain of India, he has raised a lot of expectation among Indian fans about winning the ICC Cricket World Cup 2023 next month. The 36-year-old scored the most sixes in the tournament and smacked 3 Half-centuries with a best of 74.
- Shubman Gill: 23-year-old Indian opener Shubman Gill will be delighted to have won Asia Cup in only his debut campaign. The immensely talented batter finished as the Highest scorer of the tournament with 302 runs including 1 Century and 2 Half-centuries.
- Sadeera Samarawickrama: Just like Kusal Mendis, Samarawickrama too will be gutted to see Sri-Lanka’s batting order collapse like a house of cards. He got out for a duck in the Final as Mohammad Siraj dismissed him through Leg before wicket. Overall, Samarawickrama scored 215 runs including 2 half-centuries with a best of 93.
- Mohammad Rizwan: Pakistani Wicket-keeper batsman Mohammad Rizwan concludes the list of Batters with most half-centuries in Asia Cup 2023 edition. He finished the tournament as the 5th highest scorer with 195 runs, including 2 half-centuries.