In a remarkable and historic event, legendary Indian cricketers Sachin Tendulkar, Ravi Shastri, Sunil Gavaskar, and Dilip Vengsarkar embarked on a momentous journey to Varanasi for the foundation stone laying ceremony of the International Cricket Stadium. This grand project, set to be inaugurated by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, marks a significant milestone in the world of Indian cricket and sports infrastructure.
The Government of Uttar Pradesh, under the leadership of Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath, has dedicated a staggering sum of Rs 121 crores for land acquisition, signalling their unwavering commitment to fostering the growth of cricket in the region. Furthermore, the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) is set to invest a whopping Rs 330 crores in the construction of this state-of-the-art stadium.
Ravi Shastri, former head coach of the Indian cricket team, expressed his enthusiasm for the event through social media. Taking to ‘X’, formerly known as Twitter, Shastri shared a heartfelt message, saying, “Varanasi bound. Great to be amongst Greats and colleagues for Mumbai and India. Just a few international runs and wickets there. Pic of a lifetime. Gr8 memories.”
Varanasi bound. Great to be amongst Greats and colleagues for Mumbai and India. Just a few international runs and wickets there. Pic of a lifetime. Gr8 memories. @sachin_rt @BCCI 🇮🇳🙏 pic.twitter.com/AowpVZ2l1C
— Ravi Shastri (@RaviShastriOfc) September 23, 2023
Varanasi International Cricket Stadium
One of the most intriguing aspects of the International Cricket Stadium in Varanasi is its thematic architecture, inspired by the divine aura of Lord Shiva. The designers have taken inspiration from various elements associated with Lord Shiva to create a stadium that is not only functional but also spiritually significant.
Design of Varanasi Stadium
- Crescent-Shaped Roof Covers: The roof covers of the stadium will be designed in a crescent shape, paying homage to the moon, which is often associated with Lord Shiva.
- Trident-Shaped Floodlights: The floodlights, essential for day-night matches, will be shaped like Lord Shiva’s trident, symbolizing divine power and protection.
- Ghat Steps-Based Seating: The seating arrangements in the stadium will resemble the iconic steps of the ghats along the sacred Ganges river, providing a unique and immersive viewing experience.
- Bilvipatra-Shaped Metallic Sheets: The facade of the stadium will be adorned with metallic sheets in the shape of Bilvapatra, a sacred leaf often offered to Lord Shiva.
- Capacity and Dignitaries: Upon completion, the International Cricket Stadium in Varanasi is expected to have a seating capacity of 30,000 spectators.
In addition to the cricketing legends, the foundation stone laying ceremony will witness the presence of key figures from the BCCI, including President Roger Binny, Vice President Rajiv Shukla, and Secretary Jay Shah.
The International Cricket Stadium in Varanasi represents a crucial step forward in Uttar Pradesh’s journey in the realm of cricket. After Kanpur and Lucknow, this will be the state’s third international cricket stadium, solidifying its status as a cricketing powerhouse. The stadium’s distinctive design, spiritual undertones, and massive seating capacity make it not just a sports arena but a symbol of cultural integration and architectural marvel.