12th December 2018 proved to be an outstanding date for Manika Batra, it is the date when she finally received the dues for his extraordinary efforts throughout the year. She won the Breakthrough Table Tennis Star award by the International Table Tennis Federation in Incheon, South Korea on Wednesday. She herself described 2018 as the best year of her career.
2018 was her year, she dominated the Table Tennis circuit by giving exceptional performances at the Common Wealth games and Asian games. After winning the award, she said “I am really honored and happy to have received the award. I feel, 2018 has been the best year of my career so far and I am happy for what I have achieved,”
“I would like to thank the Government, the Table Tennis Federation of India (TTFI) and most importantly, my family, who has been there for me and motivated me along this journey,” she further added
She won 2 Gold at Common Wealth games and a bronze and a Bronze in Asian games.
The 23 year old Manika Batra reached her best ranking 52 in 2018 after defeating world no-4 Tianwei Feng in the team event .
Interesting Facts on Manika Batra
- Manika Batra started playing Tennis at the young age of 5, she was influenced by her elder sister Aanchal .
- She studied at Jesus and Mary college, but drop out early in order to focus completely on Table Tennis
- Manika Batra is married to Vijay
- She was offered the scholarship to train at the Peter Karlsson Academy in Sweden at young age of 16, but she rejected.
- Sachin Tendulkar and Saina Nehwal are her source of inspiration. Whenever she is down and out, she look up to them.
- Manika Batra is coached by Sandeep Gupta.
- Manika Batra has a fit physique of 34-28-34 with 6 feet height and 65 Kilogram weight