Basil Thampi Introduction
Basil Thampi had been playing cricket for a long time. However, he was never the most amazing of bowlers. Mostly amongst the averages, Thampi was once preparing to quit playing cricket after the completion of studies. He was eyeing a job in the Gulf. But there was one well-wisher, who was his captain of the local side he played for. He made Thampi realize how brilliant a prospect he is, and his possibilities of making it even into the Indian team.
Thankfully for Thampi, he stayed in the path that lead to 22 yards. He instead took up a job at a cricket nursery called Chemplast. Even then, he was not very well known, until a now-disbanded team called Gujarat Lions bought him in the IPL auctions. Thampi’s life changed from that moment, and though he has not put on the blue jersey yet, he has come very close to it.
Basil Thampi Batting and Fielding averages
Basil Thampi Bowling averages
Basil Thampi Early Life
- Basil Thampi was born on 11 September 1993 at Ernakulam, Kerala.
- His father’s name is M.M Thampi.
- His mother’s name is Lizy Thampi.
- Basil has a sister named Sinu Thampi. She is younger than Basil.
- Basil spent his initial days under the guidance of his mentor CM Deepak.
- He was signed by Gujarat Lions for the 2017 edition of IPL for INR 85 lakhs.
- Kerala’s bowling coach Tinu Yohannan has described Thampi by using terms like “deceptive”, “strong” and “athletic”.
- Thampi is currently plying his trade for Sunrisers Hyderabad in the IPL.
- Music, reading books and travelling are certain things Thampi is head over heels for.
Basil Thampi Domestic Career
- Thampi made his T20 debut on April 1, 2014, against Hyderabad at Visakhapatnam. It was in a Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy game. Thampi conceded only 27 runs in his 4 overs, and also took the wicket of Hyderabad’s opener Akshath Reddy.
- His List A debut came in the same year on November 7, against Goa at Secunderabad. Thampi took six wickets in this match, including the wicket of one of Goa’s cricketing legends, Swapnil Asnodkar.
- His first-class debut came exactly a year later, against the very same opposition, at Wayanad. In the Group C encounter of Ranji Trophy, Thampi took 4 wickets.
Basil Thampi Achievements
- Thampi won the ‘Emerging Player of the Year’ award in IPL 2017, for his wonderful spells for Gujarat Lions. He picked up 11 wickets in 12 games.
- Thampi took a 6-wicket haul in his first-ever List A-game.
- He also took a 4-wicket haul in his first-class debut.
- Thampi was called up to be a net bowler of the India National Cricket Team during their four-match Test series against Australia, in 2017.
- In the same year, Thampi was selected in the squad for the series against Sri Lanka. However, he did not get an opportunity to play.
- He was called up for both the 2018–19 Duleep Trophy and the 2019–20 Duleep Trophy.