Kane Williamson is certainly regarded as one of the best batsmen who has ever played this game of cricket and one of the modern greats and under his leadership, Black Caps have won the inaugural edition of the World Test Championship final where they defeated India by eight wickets on reserve day.
Now his team will be playing another final of the T20 World Cup in the same year against Australia and if he manages to win that they will probably become the first team to win two ICC titles in the same year and under the same captain.
Everyone Knows Kane Williamson as a batsman is fantastic but the question arises what makes him a great captain. Let us ponder those factors in detail.
- After taking the captaincy role from Brendon McCullum in 2015, the way he has lead the side is phenomenal as they finished as runner-up in the 2019 world cup followed by victory in the World Test Championship final.
- Williamson is pretty cool you would not find him showing any sort of aggression in the crunch moments of the game like Dhoni.
- His bowling changes are smart and bang on to the point and many times when you observe his captaincy you would come across that he is someone who relies on stats as he knows which opposition batsman will face difficulty against his bowlers.
- Kane Williamson backs those players who he thinks will benefit him in long run and persist with them despite repeated failures and the latest example is Daryl Mitchell who he promoted at the top of the order in this ongoing T20 World Cup and the latter repaid back to him after playing a match-winning knock of 72 unbeaten runs against title favorites England.
- Last but not least he knows that his team doesn’t have big names or stars unlike India and England but still the way he utilize his players, especially in ICC tournaments, is simply phenomenal.