Ruturaj Gaikwad Introduction
If a cricket analyst is asked to make a list of 10 uncapped players who are bound to make it to the national team in the coming years, Ruturaj Gaikwad’s name might come on that list. He is not a player who has got fame overnight, courtesy spectacular innings in an Indian Premier League game. Neither is he is a player who has risen out of the blue.
He is a cricketer who has been performing consistently well in the Indian domestic circuit for quite a while now and is finally getting his dues. Gaikwad has earned a contract with IPL side Chennai Super Kings. He has also been a part of the Indian U23 squad. Provided he keeps his form going the way it is going now, we can expect him in the blue shirt in a few years.
Ruturaj Gaikwad Batting and Fielding Averages
Ruturaj Gaikwad Bowling Averages
Ruturaj Gaikwad Early Life
- Ruturaj Gaikwad was born on 31 January 1997, in Pune, Maharashtra.
- He has been fond of cricket since childhood.
- When he was just 11 years of age, he got himself enrolled at the Elf Vengsarkar Academy, which is the cricket coaching centre run by legendary ex-cricketer Dilip Vengsarkar.
- Gaikwad first made the headlines back in 2015, when he was still a teenager. This incident happened in the Maharashtra Invitation Tournament. Gaikwad scored a triple century in a game. He was also involved in a 522-run mammoth partnership.
- He was then called up for the Maharashtra U19 side. Gaikwad was instrumental for them as well. Despite all that, he missed out on a national team call up for the ICC U19 Cricket World Cup 2016.
- Travelling and reading are the favourite pastimes of Gaikwad.
- He is a huge fan of a former and a current Indian opener – Virender Sehwag and Rohit Sharma.
- Gaikwad is a big fan of Bollywood superstar Salman Khan.
Ruturaj Gaikwad Domestic Career
- Gaikwad got his first shot at first-class cricket on October 6, 2016, against Jharkhand at Delhi. He scored 15 in the first innings, and could not bat in the second because he sustained an injury during the match.
- Gaikwad’s debut T20 match was on February 2, 2017 against Mumbai at Vadodara. This happened to be a 2016–17 Inter-State Twenty-20 Tournament clash. He scored 9 runs in this game.
- His List A debut came three weeks later, against Himachal Pradesh at Cuttack. He took the Himachal Pradesh bowling lineup for a ride and scored 132 runs from just 110 balls.
Ruturaj Gaikwad Achievements
- He was a part of both the 2018–19 Deodhar Trophy and the 2019–20 Deodhar Trophy.
- He was included in the Indian team for the 2018 ACC Emerging Teams Asia Cup.
- He has scored an unbeaten 187 against Sri Lanka A, whilst playing for India A.
- He was called up for the 2019–20 Duleep Trophy.
- He was Maharashtra’s best batsman in his debut List A competition.
- While representing Board President’s XI, he scored a century against England Lions.