Nordic Skiing is an outdoor sport that takes place in the Nordic town of the United States of America. Skiing has been a favourite outdoor sport for people in the USA as it can only be performed in the snow-covered mountains. Nordic town in the USA is the best place for performing Nordic Skiing.
Now you might wonder as to why the Nordic Town of the USA, an ideal place for Nordic Skiing. The reasons are quite an on point. The first and the foremost, the Nordic Tow of the USA, also termed as the Sun Valley is the most pristine groomed Ski terrain in the USA. It is one of the most convenient and extensive Nordic track networks that are comprised of roughly 200 kilometers of networked trails. It links the South Valley to the North Valley and also several Nordic spur track networks. Another reason for Nordic Skiing being famous in the Nordic town is that there are people who give rentals to all the skiing gears and help you to ski if you are a first-timer by providing support and lessons. The Sun Valley is such an amazing terrain to ski that it has been designated as the first Nordic Olympic Training Site and Paralympics Training Site of the country for the best athletes around the world.
Types of Nordic Skiing to Enjoy
When we talk about skiing, the word ‘skiing’ may look like a relatively small word. But the types of skiing that are practiced will mesmerize you as there are all in all 18 types of skiing of which Nordic Skiing is one. So here are the types of skiing that you can find in any part of the world:
- Cross-country skiing
- Freestyle skiing
- Alpine skiing
- Telemark skiing
- Backcountry skiing
- Nordic skiing
- Para-alpine skiing
- Ski jumping
- Ski Mountaineer
- Ski cross
- Ski flying
- Ski- orienteering
- Roller skiing
- Grass skiing
- Speed skiing
Out of all the skiing mentioned in the list, Nordic Skiing comprises of the classic cross-country skiing skating (cross-country), ski jumping, telemark skiing, biathlon, Nordic combined and ski mountaineering.
Gears required in the Nordic Skiing Sport
Gears are the most important things if you are heading off to skiing. These are the fundamentals that will help you in skiing. Here are all the gears that you will need in order to perform Nordic Skiing.
- Premium skate or skies – the better the quality, the better will be the performance.
- Skiing poles – the long rod-like structures that support you from the sides and help you move forward. The lightest and the stiffest skiing poles perform a better job. With stretched wrist strap and an added index finger, it provides more grip.
- Jacket and Tights – The material of the jacket and the tight you will be wearing must be of breathable waterproof material for no suffocation and does not let the wet snow get into your jacket or tight hindering the concentration and as well as balance.
- Gloves and Racing Over mitts – You need to have both types of hand coverings. The gloves protect you from the dry temperature above 25 degrees while the oven mitts or the mitten protects you from the low temperature cold.
- Visor – Another most important part of the Nordic Skiing gear set is the Visor. It helps you to see through the falling snowflakes where you can enjoy the skiing sport along with the falling snowflakes. Visors with adjustable straps help in adjusting to the face type and you will not need individual visors if anyone in your family wants to ski. The visors that come with google foam helps to provide more comfort even you may do not feel it in your eyes.
Differences between the Nordic Skiing and the other Forms of Skiing
There are various types of differences in the Nordic form of skiing and in the other forms of skiing that we have come across in the previous section. Here are the differences that make the Nordic form of skiing the most budget-friendly skiing. Also, some comparisons will really help you choose the one you want to go for from the list of skiing. In Nordic Skiing, the toe of the boot is attached to the ski while the heels are free and the boots are pretty soft. Nordic Skiing is comparatively low in budget compared to most of the skiing.
Therefore, if you are tight in your budget then Nordic Skiing will be the best option for you. You do not need much equipment that ensures that you run a pretty low budget. This type of skiing does not require a high-end jacket because the Nordic Skiing is generally carried out in the ski terrain covered with traces of forest which protects from the cold and shivering as a shield. The Nordic skies are longer and narrower than the other types of skies along with the Nordic poles that are longer as well. While most other skiing sports are carried on a ski resort, this specific type of skiing can be done in a backyard with snow and trees all around. Many prefer flat snowy surfaces for Nordic Skiing while others prefer slanting surface for speedy skiing and gliding on the rivers. Coming on to the precautions, generally, helmets are not worn or needed in the Nordic Skiing unlike the other forms of skiing. But precautions must be taken in order to maintain safety.
With this, we have come to the end of the Nordic Skiing session. With proven facts, this particular type of skiing became the most commonly practiced outdoor sport. Even the Olympics have included Nordic Skiing for both male and female.
Also Check :
- Biathlon Guide: History, Rules and How to Play Biathlon Games
- All You Need to Know About Bobsleigh | Rules, History & How to Play
- Figure Skating History, Rules and How to Play this Game