Rahul Tewatia Introduction
Rahul Tewatia is an orthodox spinner who opts to give the ball some air instead of giving pressure. He made his Ranji Trophy debut for Haryana against Karnataka in 2013. Like many underdog players, Rahul’s fate turned when he was selected in the Indian Premier League.
Being a wrist spinner and an extremely handy lower-order batsman, he is able to play the paddles and the scoops. And Tewatia as a complete package is a very preserved and valuable player for any side in the IPL. In the last edition, he was selected instead of ace veteran bowler Mishra by the Delhi franchise. In the beginning, the swap seemed justified but soon his performance downgraded and Mishra replaced.
He came into limelight in IPL 2017, KXIP vs KKR, where Tewatia played a crucial part to help the team win. It was Tewatia’s first game of the season, and with a few handy boundaries he helped the team to take the final score to 167 a score that was sufficient enough for them to win. Apart from his batting, Tewatia also made sure to utilize his bowling at par, he manages to pick two wickets giving just 18 runs in four overs.
With Tewatia’s contribution, Kings XI Punjab defended the score 167 against second-placed Kolkata Knight Riders at the PCA Stadium in Mohali, which helped the team to keep their playoffs hope alive. It was Punjab who was asked to bat first, and Skipper Glenn Maxwell who was in no mood to slow down slammed 44 runs to take KXIP to a fighting score in their final home game.
During his time at Delhi Daredevils, Rahul played alongside one of the most experienced leg-spinners of the Indian Premier League, Amit Mishra. And Rahul made the most of it bey learning from the veteran. He is also decent batsman if given the opportunity hand too and can be used in the long ends to give a strong base at the lower order. It was his batting ability which was also one of the reasons behind his 3 Crore price.
Rahul Tewatia Batting and fielding averages
Rahul Tewatia Bowling averages
Rahul Tewatia Age and Early Life
- Rahul Tewatia was born on May 23, 1993, in Sihi, Haryana
- His father’s name is Krishnapal Tewatia
- He got inspiration from his uncle who was also a sportsperson
- He is a huge fan of Tennis player ‘Roger Federer’
- His Favourite Football team is Memphis Tiger
- His favourite destination has always been Old Trafford, Manchester, England
- His hobbies include Watching And Playing Football, Movies, Music, Travelling, Reading
- Apart from cricket, he has been hired to work for Public sector company “Oil and Natural Gas Corporation’
Rahul Tewatia Domestic Career
- Tewatia made his debut for Haryana during the 2013–14 Ranji Trophy on 6 December 2013 against Karnataka at the Bansi Lal Cricket Stadium
- Tewatia managed to score 17 runs total in his two appearances at-bat.
- He made his List A debut for Haryana in the 2016–17 Vijay Hazare Trophy on 25 February 2017
Rahul Tewatia Achievements
- Before the 2014 Indian Premier League, Rajasthan Royals bought Tewatia for 10 lakhs.
- His value increased in 2017 when he was bought by the Kings XI Punjab team for the 2017 Indian Premier League for 25 lakhs.
- In January 2018, he was bought by the Delhi Daredevils in the 2018 IPL auction.
- He bowled a match-winning spell of 2/18 in his debut match for the Kings XI Punjab against KKR. In the same match, he smashed 15 runs off 8 balls.
- He was one of the surprise packages of the 2018 Indian Premier League auctions. The base price of the 24- year old-leg-spinner was just Rs 10 Lakhs. But within minutes the price soar to a massive 2.5 Crores. His previous team Kings11 Punjab were after him but eventually, Delhi Daredevils bought him at 3 Crores.