Basketball Rules | How to Play Basketball
Basketball is one of the most interesting games in the whole world where you need to be swift and defensive to put the ball in the basket and get a score. If you really want to know Basketball rules and how to play basketball then this article is a must read for you.
History of Basketball
In December 1891, a Canadian- American teacher, James Naismith, founded a new indoor sport named as Basketball. He was a physical education teacher at Springfield College in Massachusetts, United States. There was no indoor sport to keep the students busy in the winters until the discovery of Basketball. The supreme governing body of Basketball is FIBA (International Basketball Federation).
Basketball Rules and Regulations
Basketball is a sport of total ten players and is an indoor game having two teams with five players on each side. It is played on a rectangular courtyard made of cement mostly. There are two vertical poles on the center of each end of the field with an attached basket at the top. A goal is scored when a team throws a shot in the opponent team’s basket. The team scoring the highest number of goals is the winner. People often want to know how to play Basketball to become a perfect player. Without knowing the Basketball rules and few tricks of this game you can’t master this sport.
Different Positions in Basketball
- There are various positions in basketball such as Small Forward, Power Forward, Point Guard, Shooting Guard, Center, Swingman, Forward Center, Point Forward, Tweener, and Forward.
- The center is usually the tallest player in the team, and he is positioned near the basket. He takes over the ball from the side and shoots it in the basket quickly. Center player plays offensive as well as defensive.
- Power forwards are the next tallest players in the team. They play in the corners and are good at shooting the ball straight into the basket from a distance.
- Small forwards are players who have an average height. They are also good at guarding up and plays defensively too.
- Shooting guards are usually shorter than the center and forward players. They are fast paced and good at passing the balls.
- Point guard is the player who handles the ball most of the time on the court. He initiates the game with moving the ball and setting up offensive players. Usually the shortest player in the team coordinates with all the team members.
- Tweener is a player who is trained to play all the positions at the time. Although, he may lack all the physical characters of being at a particular position. Translation of tweener is ‘between.’
- The Swingman is a player who can play either small forward or shooting guard whenever required. Now basketball will no more puzzle your mind.
Equipment of Basketball
Basketball uses an orange colored inflatable leather ball. It has a rough surface which makes it easy to hold on to. The circumference of the ball is decided to be 29.5 inches in case of men’s tournament and 28.5 inches in case of women’s tournaments. Various other sizes are also used depending on the platform and players.
A basket is attached to the backboard. The basket is made of net that is connected to the hoop of the backboard which measures 18 inches in diameter. Hoops are available in three forms according to space on the field. They are wall mount, portable and in-ground hoops.
There are three types of backboards available such as polycarbonate, acrylic and tempered glass. This prevents the ball from falling out of the court and makes it fall on the field every time a goal is missed out.
The ideal dimensions of a basketball court are 28 meters long and 15 meters wide. It goes up to 29 meters in length and 15 meters width in the NBA. The court usually has wooden flooring as long as it an indoor sport. When the court is built outdoors, the floor is often cemented.
Basketball Rules and Techniques
Team Rule – There must be five players in each team, and those players will have the positions of shooting the guard, power forward, center, small forward and lastly point guard.
Shot Clock – The Shot clock is the amount of time given to the offensive players to shoot the ball. Earlier, players used to kill time by passing balls to avoid the penalty. The shot clock was then invented to keep the game fast paced. In NBA, 24 seconds of shot clock time is given whereas at college level game 35 seconds of time is given to the players.
Regulation Time – In the NBA‘s, there are whole four quarters which are twelve minutes long. In high school, each quarter runs for eight minutes whereas in college two halves are 20 minutes long.
Fouls – Three types of fouls exist in basketball. They are personal fouls, technical fouls, and flagrant fouls. Personal fouls are the ones where a player makes illegal contact with the opponent in any way. After five or six personal fouls, the player is disqualified. A technical foul is a foul which identifies unsportsmanlike conduct by the opponent. It is not about physical contact but the behavior of the other team. The flagrant foul is divided into two parts. One type is defined as the unnecessary contact by the opponent. The second type is defined as both unnecessary and excessive contact by the opponent. It mostly concerns violent players.
Score – One point is offered from scoring after a foul from a free throw line, two points are offered when scored from inside the three-point semi-circle, and three points are offered when scored from outside of the three-point circle and behind the line.
Dribbling Technique – Dribbling is the handling of a ball during the game. It is done by cupping the ball with your fingers without letting the palm touch it. Dribbling technique is the constant motion of grabbing the ball and bouncing it on the field while preventing other players from stealing it. Players are allowed to walk two steps after the ball is in their hands and not dribbling anymore. If they walk more than two steps without dribbling it results in the violation of rules.
Shooting Method – While shooting the ball in the basket, the shoulders should be width apart. The lead hand should come forward with flexing the elbow in the direction of the basket. The lead foot should come in front of the other leg and line up with the lead hand straight to the basket. Place your weaker hand on the side of the ball to provide some stability and focus.
Also Check : Top 10 Best Basketball players of All Time
If you aspire to know about Basketball rules and how to play basket ball then these tips can surely guide you to be a good player of Basketball.