Lockie Ferguson Introduction
Lachlan Hammond Ferguson, known to the world as Lockie Ferguson is a fast bowler who represents New Zealand in all three forms of the game. Besides him representing New Zealand in international cricket, he also features in the Indian Premier League for Kolkata Knight Riders. He was also a part of the Rising Pune Supergiants team under the captaincy of Dhoni in 2017-18.
The right-arm fast bowler has already earned a reputation as a furious pacer and was one of the main reasons for New Zealand’s impressive run in the 2019 ICC Cricket World Cup. He has the ability to regularly clock over 150 kph and has a fierce bouncer that can even unsettle the best batsman in the game.
Lockie Ferguson Early life & Journey
Lockie Ferguson was born on 13 June 1991 in Auckland, New Zealand to Doug Ferguson and Jan Ferguson. Ferguson’s passion for the game of Cricket was obvious at an early age. He was never a line and length bowler, for him, bowling always meant being fast.
In 2008 he won the National schools fast bowling competition. He also won the title of quickest secondary School bowler of New Zealand.
Ferguson’s first-class cricket career began in 2012-13 domestic season playing for Auckland in the Planket shield tournament. He didn’t have an instant impact in the tournament and it took him 2 years to make an impact. After having two ordinary seasons in 2012-13 and 13-14, he finally made an impact in the domestic circuit by taking 21 wickets in the 2014-15 season. He repeated the performance with another magnificent season as he picked up 31 wickets in the 2015-16 season.
Two consecutive successful seasons in the domestic circuit while playing for Auckland meant that he was ready for international cricket and as a result, he earned his place on the national side of New Zealand.
In December 2016 he got the opportunity to wear New Zealand Jersey when he replaced an injured player in the ODI side for the series against Australia. He dismissed the dangerous David Warner in his first over at the international stage. Lockie Ferguson also took the wicket of Sabbir Rahman in his first over of T20 International debut for New Zealand National Cricket Team playing against Bangladesh at Napier New Zealand on 3rd January 2017.
In February 2017, Rising Pune Supergiants bought him at a price of 50 lakhs for the 2017 Indian Premier League. In the 2017 Indian Premier League season he won a match against Royal Challengers Bangalore single-handedly as he took 2 wickets for only 7 runs in his four overs.
In December 2018 Kolkata Knight Riders bought him for a price of 1.6 crores for the 2019 IPL.
Lockie Ferguson Cricket & Stats
- He made his test debut on 12 December 2019 against Australia at Perth.
- He made his one-day international debut against Australia at Sydney on 4 December 2016.
- He made his T20 International debut against Bangladesh at Netgear on 3rd Jan 2017.
- His first-class debut came against Wellington at Wellington on 7 February 2013.
- His List A debut came against Otago at Alexandra on 27 December 2015.
- His domestic T20 debut came against Central Districts at Auckland on 14 January 2014.
- He has played one test match and hasn’t picked a wicket yet and has an economy of 4.27.
- He has played 36 One-Day International matches picking up 67 wickets at an average of 25.65. He has an economy of 5.42 and a strike rate of 28.3. His best bowling figure in one-day internationals is 5 wickets for 45 runs. He has two four-wicket hauls and 1 five-wicket haul to his name.
- He has played 8 T20 International matches picking up 14 wickets at an average of 15.85. He has an economy of 7.16 and a strike rate of 13.2 in the shorter format of the game. His best bowling figure in T20 international is 3 wickets for 21 runs.
Lockie Ferguson BioData
- Full name: Lachlan Hammond Ferguson
- Born: June 13, 1991
- Birth Place: Auckland
- Current age: 28 years
- Major teams: New Zealand, Auckland, Auckland Under-19s, Kolkata Knight Riders, Rising Pune Supergiant
- Nickname: Lockie
- Playing role: Bowler
- Batting style: Right-hand bat
- Bowling style: Right-arm fast
- Height (approx.): 6’1″ (183cm)
- Weight (approx.): 76kg
- Eye Colour: Brown
- Hair Colour: Brown
- Zodiac sign/Sun sign: Gemini
- Nationality: New Zealander
- School: Auckland Grammar School
- Father: Doug Ferguson
- Mother: Jan Ferguson
- Brother: Mitch Ferguson